FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot restore media on SXS...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Cordell
Cannot restore media on SXS...
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:21:37 pm

I have a card that was being recorded to and the battery died. Powered the camera back up and it asked to retore media on card. I select "Execute", it tries and then says media cannot be restored. I tried to copy the files onto my mac for a backup but it won't even let me do that. I tried restoring the card in 4 different cameras in both slots.

Card was in a PMW-350 when the problem happened. Tried restoring it in that cam and 3 other EX3's. I'm using the SXS-1 cards.

What are my options?

This is what the file structure looks like on the card:

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Cannot restore media on SXS...
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:29:04 pm

the SLV files indicate that the camera knew it was powered off suddenly and that the media files were not closed properly. you mentioned being unable to copy the files-- so you have no access to the mp4s through Finder even though the card mounts? if you try to do a manual import using CB, will it allow you to touch these files?

when a 'Salvage' needs to be performed it generally can only be performed on the device model that made the recording.

if you can't access the files (or if you can and find that they're compromised) call the tech group at 800 883 6817 (US 800#) and they will put you in contact with our media recovery people.

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:47:05 pm

Yeah the card mounts just fine and I can click around on all the files. But when I go to drag it to the comp to copy, the comp says that the file is not readable. Yes, I tried importing manually and it gave the same reply, that the file could not be read. I did try the salvage on the same camera.

I wasn't the actual person that was using the camera when this happen and the guy that was using it tends to screw things up and not tell the truth about what really happened.
With that said, do you think that if the camera was recording and shut down, new battery, powered back on, card said "needs to be restored", then the guy removed the card because he didn't know what that meant, but then put the card back in and then I tried the restore. Do you think that series of things could have caused the corruption?

I don't feel that I need to send in for recovery because I can access the files. I just feel like a programmer needs to take a look at the card and in a way, manually restore the card. Just a thought. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:52:17 pm

if you can access the files and get what you need there's no reason to send it in. it should be fine after it's been reformatted.

removing the card should not have worsened the situation but it is impossible to say for sure, as the file system can get damaged in different ways when power is suddenly removed. the presence of those other files with the strange names is something I hadn't seen before.

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:01:31 pm

That's the thing. I though I was in the clear because I could get to the files on the card. But I can't do anything with them because I can't copy them anywhere. None of the software solutions can see the card like normal, so I can't extract the video that way. Manually importing in CB doesn't do it. Tried FFMpeg, same thing. It's like those extra files on there are telling the comp to not let me do anything to the video files. And I can't just duplicate and try deleting because I can't copy those files either.

I just remembered one other factor. So normally our workflow is: shoot on card, archive card, put card back into loop, when card is used again-format card in camera that needs to use it. Well when I put this card into the 350, it said 110 min. just as if it was already formatted. What if the card was formatted on an EX3 and then put into the 350? I mean it's basically the same camera but a different body but maybe??

Is there any Sony people that troll this site or should I just make a call?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:19:18 pm

[Sorry, I should have mentioned that I work for Sony; I don't always use my Sony signature]

You should call and send the card in to be looked at and properly recovered. I thought when you said "I don't feel that I need to send in for recovery because I can access the files" that maybe I was missing something and you were able to access them in some way. If you do a Get Info (Cmd + I) on the card or look at it in Finder does it accurately show remaining capacity? Or does it look blank?

Unless there are wildly different firmware versions on the two cameras it should not make a difference if the card is formatted in one EX and used in another. They all use the same file system and folder structure (with the exception of the PMW-500 which offers the option of UDF/Optical Disc formatting and recording to MXF files). It's a good practice to format on the device you're actually using but neglecting to do should not cause a situation like the one you're experiencing.

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:25:39 pm

Weird that it says it was created in '79??

No problem but good to know. If I call and send it in, will this be considered a warranty issue or something like that?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:37:58 pm

ok, that bodes well.

the fees, if they do charge you, are nominal. (nothing in the realm of what data recovery usually runs).

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:39:41 pm

Alright, I will do that. Doesn't sound like I have any other option anyway. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

David Lavery
on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:14:55 pm

I just did something worse on my new F3. The card door has a bar on the back, and I closed it before reformatting a card. I ejected my b-card to format my A card... but closed the door and it seeded the card. switched slots and I formatted the wrong card. I had a twenty minute interview on that card that was just shot. Client drove away.... and I nuked the interview. Once you format in the camera, is that media gone for ever. I ejected the card and immediately and at my office googled recovery software and tried three different types. Is there any way to recover media from a card?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 26, 2012 at 3:04:37 pm

Call the Sony media team @ 877 440 3453, ask to Speak with Francisco, they may be able to help, otherwise contact me offline @ ian dot cook at am dot sony dot com

Return to posts index

Mark Likosky
on Mar 5, 2012 at 7:42:44 pm

Is there an email to reach them at? I seem to get cut off when I call but I'll try again.

I've got a card that I did not format, put it into the EX3 and the 'media needs to be restored' message came up, I said yes, filmed a few clips and then had trouble when using the card reader.

I put the card back into the camera and none of the clips showed up. was wondering if sending it in may help.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]