FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advise on interview mic

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron darby
Advise on interview mic
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:30:36 pm

There are times I need to do a quick interview and would like to use the camera mic instead of a wireless.

What mic would be good to mount on my camera to pick up an interview about 5 feet away.
I know the background sound will very depending on the location.

I have an EX3

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dale West
Re: Advise on interview mic
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:47:08 pm

Ron,
Unless there was absolutely no other option I'd never use the camera mic for an interview
that I wanted to use. Sure you can get nat pops and general nat sound but if you are going to use
the audio for interview purposes then you have to have another method. A hard wire lav is a good quick solution and another way might be to use your on camera mic with a short audio cable. Back when I worked local news we would put a coiled cable on the camera mic. It allowed us to use the mic on the camera for "normal" nat sound and we could quickly remove it and hold it in front of the subject for
better "interview" sound. If you dont have a short shot gun mic and your budget can stand it the Sanken CS-1 rocks but there are a bunch of others that are less expensive and work well. You might check out the consignment lists of places like Trew Audio, TAI Audio or Location Sound. There are other places but these are some that Ive purchased from in the past.

Best of luck

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-588-2683
dale@dalewestvideo.tv

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:03:22 pm

Thanks
I like the idea of the coiled up cable on the camera mic. I usually use a wireless lav
I produce a pet show and sometimes we have a reality segment. Thats when I need to catch unexpected sound bites from a new person in the scene. We do not have the budget for a sound guy.
The CS-1 is a little to muck $. What's in the $300 to $400 range

Return to posts index

Butch Henderson
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:23:00 am

You might try a short shotgun type mic. The directionality helps reject background noise, and sounds natural. Here's the two I have used for news.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300615-REG/Audio_Technica_AT897_AT897...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/73100-REG/Sennheiser_ME66_K6_COMBO_ME...

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:26:59 am

Thnaks

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:06:50 am

I use a sony wireless hand held for some interviews. I did some interviews in a noisy dance club environment. I was surprised how well it block out the ambient noise and the subject's voice was very clear. Quick and easy to just hold up the mic.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

jim masi
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:21:43 pm

The Rode line of shotguns are a good value, their short NTG-1 is a good camera-mounted shotgun if you can phantom power it with your camera, I think the NTG-2 is the same mic with a AA power supply, so it's a bit longer. The coiled cable idea is a good one, but any solution to get the mic closer to the subject is worth the trouble.

Jim Masi
BearHand Production
http://www.bearhand.com

Return to posts index

jim masi
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:44:59 pm

The Rode line of shotguns are a good value, their short NTG-1 is a good camera-mounted shotgun if you can phantom power it with your camera, I think the NTG-2 is the same mic with a AA power supply, so it's a bit longer. The coiled cable idea is a good one, but any solution to get the mic closer to the subject is worth the trouble.

Jim Masi
BearHand Production
http://www.bearhand.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]