FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM and FCP X, Lion

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
XDCAM and FCP X, Lion
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:46:11 pm

Does anyone know Sony's timetable for XDCAM support of the upcoming Apple releases of Final Cut Pro X and Lion? In our shop, we shoot with XDCAM and edit on FCP 7, so we can't update until Sony does. Ian Cook?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: XDCAM and FCP X, Lion
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:58:03 pm

If its not broken why fix it?

Many wait until new software settles in and becomes reliable.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:14:18 pm

[Michael Palmer] "Many wait until new software settles in and becomes reliable."

But that happens in various stages for various apps. Alas, some of us may need to move to Lion before Sony is ready. At least I have a network of computers so one can sit on Snow Leopard.

Another concern is whether ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer will be updated at all if they break. Sony's XDCAM Browser may be their focus but to date, it's proven inadequate for many of us. It may be even more so if one moves to FCPX as well. One can only hope Sony isn't slow on this. Only Ian knows for sure (maybe).

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:52:21 pm

I will have a detailed update on this shortly. As far as FCP X, we are working with Apple on ensuring that our tools work at time of release or else within a reasonable period of time from initial release.

XDCAM Transfer 2.12 will not work reliably under Lion. In all probability neither will EX Clip Browser. No further updates are planned for these applications.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:13:36 pm

[Ian Cook] " No further updates are planned for these applications."

Are you saying that these applications will be replaced by other(s) which will have similar functionality but will work with Lion?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:15:57 pm

yes, as previously discussed XDCAM Browser will take the place of these applications.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:40:45 pm

Is it not true that we will need XDcam browser less as we will not have to "unwrap" the files for FCPX.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 20, 2011 at 9:07:14 pm

I do hope that FCPX will understand the .smi metadata to join split/spanned clips directly.
I hope XDCAM Browser is given some useful features for EX users by Lion's arrival.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:39:22 pm

At some point will XDCam files work natively in FCPX or will we be forced to keep unwrapping in XDcam Browser?

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Stephen Sherwood
Re: XDCAM and FCP X
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:14:59 pm

Just bought FCP X this morning and was pissed to find that after all of the hype, it does not accept 'any' file. It does not open XDCAM files at all, and to add insult to injury, it will import iMovie files but not FCP files!
Since my main camera is an EX1, I can only use FCP X if I transcode in Compressor first, which makes it useless. I tried their "Transcode" function, but it did absolutely nothing with the footage. Any idea when Sony will have a solution?

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:17:16 am

[Stephen Sherwood] "Just bought FCP X this morning and was pissed to find that after all of the hype, it does not accept 'any' file. It does not open XDCAM files at all, and to add insult to injury, it will import iMovie files but not FCP files!
Since my main camera is an EX1, I can only use FCP X if I transcode in Compressor first, which makes it useless. I tried their "Transcode" function, but it did absolutely nothing with the footage. Any idea when Sony will have a solution?"

ouch! that is unfortunate.

Return to posts index

Stephen Sherwood
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:00:43 am

Thanks to an article here: http://library.creativecow.net/adcock_gary/FCPX/1 I discovered that if I use XDCAM Transfer and Import (duplicate) all of my clips to a folder, FCP X can import them. But the app still sucks. But the article is good and says that there is more to come. I just hope they don't charge for every little thing they add, since this is not an 'upgrade.'

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:28:06 pm

How about a comment on when we are likely to get an announcement about official support from Sony

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:29:05 pm

I'm sure Ian can't say even if he knows at this point but we need to know:
It may involve NDAs from both Sony and Apple

1) FCPX and Lion direct import and support of metadata without wrapping to mov
2) FCPX and Snow Leopard for the same.
3) Will XDCAM Browser be a conduit or will this be through an import plugin?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]