FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex3 and atomos ninja

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ian futter
ex3 and atomos ninja
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:35:26 pm

Just bought an atomos ninja recorder, intending to use with a sdi to hdmi convertor into ninja. Doesn't work at all with a datavideo convertor we bought, has anyone achived this with another make of convertor? Blackmagic perhaps? Ian

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: ex3 and atomos ninja
on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:07:57 pm

What format is the camera set up to? (24p),
As far as I know HDMI only works with broadcast signals (60i). Not sure the camera sends HDMI out when in 24p.

I really think saving a few bucks on the Ninja and converter is a bad idea, why not go for the Samurai for HD-SDI and not deal with another piece of equipment to not only power but mount.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

ian futter
Re: x3 and atomos ninja
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:09:29 pm

50i pal, 1080 we are in uk. Yes agreed on samurai, but its not available yet :(. Hdmi from cannon 550d works fine at same settings to ninja, so must be duff convertor?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:57:02 pm

[Michael Palmer] "As far as I know HDMI only works with broadcast signals (60i). Not sure the camera sends HDMI out when in 24p."
HDMI support p24 (23.98) but PSF.
You can record it and play it with your NANO-Flash, but Ian can't do it with his Ninja.
Seems that the Ninja adds pull-down (i60) by default.
I guess this is to simplify the processor. Instead than for tree times bases (24, 50,60) needs to be built just for two.
Cheaper.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 18, 2011 at 5:27:37 pm

Sorry.
The Ninja, expect the Pull-down added.
Can records only i60/50.
Rafael

Return to posts index

ian futter
on Jun 18, 2011 at 7:42:59 pm

I'm slightly confused as ninja sayes it records 50i on spec. And ex1 directly into it works at that, so why does converting from sdi at that rate not work?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:33:18 am

[ian futter] " And ex1 directly into it works at that, so why does converting from sdi at that rate not work?"
If you have the EX-1 set to 1080i50, or 1080p25, the SDI streams out 10b Unc 1080i50.
So:
- Make sure the EX-1 SDI works
- Make sure the HDMI works, try in a monitor.
If the HDMI works, the problem is on the Ninja.
Bad HDMI socket?
Wrong setting?
Misfunction?
rafael

Return to posts index

david shapton
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:39:16 am

I just wanted to chip in here. It's pretty confusing with HDMI because you often don't get exactly what you expect coming out of it. Actually, the Ninja CAN accept 24p. It's not the Ninja that puts the pulldown in the signal; it's the cameras. I guess they do this to be compatible with more monitors.

So, if you want to record 30p or 25p from a device onto a Ninja, just record the 60i or 50i that comes out of the HDMI port. Because each of the fields making up the interlaced frame will have been derived from the same progressive image, the interlaced signal looks and behaves exactly like the progressive one. You don't need to do anything.

If the camera is outputting 24p as 60i (ie 24p with a 3:2 pulldown) then on the Ninja, you'll need to reverse-telecine it, with Compressor or something like that.

Not all converters work with the Ninja. There are enough variations within the HDMI spec to mean that just because it says "HDMI" isn't sufficient to guarantee that it will work. The Ninja works with all cameras that have HDMI (that we've tested) and with some converters. For SDI, the BMD HD SDI to HDMI converter seems to work pretty well.

Hope this helps

Dave Shapton
President
Atomos EMEA

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:40:53 pm

One would think the Ninja would remove the flagged frames and if the Ninja doesn't remove the 3:2 pulldown I wouldn't consider purchasing it. However if it doesn't remove the pulldown the look of 24p is still there within the 60i.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

david shapton
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:18:07 pm

Hi Michael,

The Ninja doesn't remove the pulldown in real-time. If you're using 30p, which is output through HDMI as 60i, but still looks progressive, there's no need to do anything.

The Samurai (not shipping yet but expected September) WILL do pulldown removal.

Dave Shapton
Atomos

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 9, 2011 at 6:47:50 pm

Hi david,
Thanks for the visit.
I look forward to see samurai soon.
Best,
rafael