FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hoodman Adapter/32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond Singer
Hoodman Adapter/32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:25:22 am

I keep getting a Media Error using these 32GB cards. Using the almost latest firmware (not 1.2), which specifically OK's 32GB cards, and Hoodman OK's the Extreme Pro. I have no trouble at all with 16GB cards. I'm thinking my 32GB card is defective. Anyone have similar experience?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
Re: Hoodman Adapter/32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro
on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:59:25 pm

Unfortunately Raymond, the latest batch of SanDisk's Extreme Pro 32GB is producing media error with the SDXC adapters (MXM & Hoodman) on Sony XDCam cameras. The first batches of 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro which were tested with our SDXC adapters in December 2010, did not produce any media error. The current production of 32GB Extreme Pro have been altered in March/April 2011. We have recently re-tested various batches of 32GB Extreme Pro and the behaviour is the same - media error.

The Extreme Pro utilises UHS-1 and standard SD bus and we have tested other brands of memory cards with UHS-1 and they work. The 32GB Extreme Pro still works with slower non UHS-1 bus adapters, the previous generation Hoodman and MXM SDHC adapters. We have posted on our website compatible tested memory cards available which work without media error - http://www.mxmexpress.com/cms.php?id_cms=6 ... Unfortunately, we have no control regarding the consistency of memory cards released by manufacturers. Note, SanDisk's 16GB Extreme Pro has no issues.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:51:33 pm

Marek do you have a testing procedure to recommend for the end user?

Personally, I put two SD cards in and record straight through. I then do similar at the extreme overcrank. Then I do a series of short records, deleting some clips periodically. This shows me how the cards work in a variety of shooting conditions. If I get a media error at any point, the cards aren't to be trusted.

One of the caveats about SD media is that manufactures can change elements at any time without notice. Sometimes, depending on the manufacture, it can change depending on where the manufacturing was subcontracted to. This is why it's good to have an end user test before putting a card into service.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Jun 18, 2011 at 11:28:48 pm

Hi Craig,
We apologise in advance for this extensive and long post...we intend no harm to anyone...

When we started MxM in early 2009 (previously, for a short period of time, a different name)...our policy was, and still is, to test every single piece of equipment we ship. We understand concerns about durability and especially media error, so all our adapters are, and always will be, hand tested as we assemble, fully check and QC in Australia. We spend a lot of time and effort in R&D and we have completed 8,500 hrs of recording on our equipment with various firmware versions and different memory cards.

We extensively test the behaviour of memory cards in applications, such as recording with Sony's XDCam system and using and recording with Sony gear is unfortunately, not the same as recording to your PC equipment. There are less than a hand full of manufacturers of flash memory cards in the market and a lot of manufacturers will use any available components which can change from production line to production line, as you've rightly mentioned. We have sometimes, a uncertain or unknown situation where we find ourselves with an inconsistency existing which will can vary from country to country. As long as it meets the Class system speed, the manufacturer will use any available components in the production process. As well, the price requirements of the particular country can govern the quality of components.

You will probably remember in late 2009 and Ultra II was working fine and then it wasn’t. A classic example of SanDisk changing parts as long as it meets their class speed requirements. Yes, they do have rights to this and don’t have to advertise it.

At that particular time we went with ATP because they were able to tweak the firmware for us to create a stable memory card which worked and we hope this may have contributed to Sony to rethink supporting SDHC media.

In regards to our MXM testing procedure, to help make it a bit easier for the end user to choose the correct memory card, each card will go through hundreds of hours of full recording including short clips (10 seconds 20 times consecutively) in full HD recording mode. Then we proceed to overcranking mode and do the same procedure.

Also, a stress test on the memory card (which we don’t encourage or recommend for the end user to perform), is to eject the memory card during recording and another stress test is to disconnect the battery out of the camera while recording. Yes we get “Media must be restored” error, but the whole idea is to see if the media will be restored or if it gets corrupted beyond recognition.

Another stress test we perform, is a start/stop while red access light is still on.

I must admit with the last 2 firmware releases, we have had no issues with damaging memory cards doing so or getting any media error with the memory cards we recommend.

With different memory cards the behaviour on the camera will be slightly different. Some memory cards will be recognised on insertion quicker or slower…and the formatting behaviour will be different as well. It is all to do with the flash memory and memory controller used in manufacturing.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Raymond Singer
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:18:31 pm

Thank you, Marek. And thanks, too, for continuing the thread. All very interesting... and a bit worrisome.

BTW, I was instructed by SanDisk to reformat the card in the computer as FAT32. It didn't help the situation. I'm betting with you and will call SanDisk and see if they'll offer a trade or some other way to get some value out of my 32GB card.

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:10:30 pm

Need I return the following or has it been tested? or tested and NFG?

Sonnet Technologies SDHC Memory Card Adapter SD-SXS-E34

tnx,
Hal

EX1r

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:01:35 pm

Perhaps you can fool the camera into making it work, I wonder if you can format the card as FAT-32 and copy a BPAV folder to it and then try.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]