FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW F3 Kipro Mini

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony DeRose
PMW F3 Kipro Mini
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:08:05 am

When using kipro mini as a external recorder should I enable 1.5G YPbPr422 & Video? Or just leave it at the default off?

http://www.anthonyderose.com

Return to posts index

Anthony DeRose
Re: PMW F3 Kipro Mini
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:09:41 am

I forgot to mention that is for the dual-link & gamma select option

Return to posts index

Anthony DeRose
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:26:59 am

Looking back at my question I didn't explain myself very well.

What exactly does it mean when it says dual link? Do I need to run a SDI out of both a & b into the recorder so its works properly? Or can I with dual link on just run one single bnc cable out of SDI into the kipro mini.

Better yet if I just keep that setting (1.5G YPbPr422 & Video) off and have the bnc running out of the SDI to the kipro will it still shoot prores HQ 1920x1080 422 10bit (of course these setting need to be enabled on the kipro)

Return to posts index

Richard Boghosian
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:31:40 am

using the 1.5 gb option ( that not dual link) you get a clean no info overlay on the A bnc port and you can get an info overlay on the HDMI port. The SDI port is then disabled.

Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions

FCP 7.03 MacPro 8Gb ram Matrox MXO 2 Max

Return to posts index

Anthony DeRose
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:44:51 am

Hey Rich

Thank you for responding, I'm still lost with it. Basically if I'm going recording out to my kipro does that option need to be enabled to let me record 422 Prores HQ 10Bit? The kipro itself lets me dial that all in and I figured if those setting are applied and I have enabled the option on the F3 HDSDI Remote I/F which lets me record to a external device I'd be golden.

But I dont know if I need to have the 1.5 setting since it will eventually be the point to let you record out S-Log and list 422.

Sorry for the confusion.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 17, 2011 at 4:53:18 am

Since I'm not familiar with the F3 I can't advise you on the proper camera setup but I can advise you on the KiPro Mini. If you haven't activated the following conditions below please do so:

- Make sure the "Arm Recording" is set to TC/REC KEY otherwise the device will not respond to the RP188 protocol sent through the SDI from your F3 that tells the Mini to stop/start recording.

And this from Jon Thorn, Product Manager, AJA Video Systems:

"In general, when using Ki Pro products with cameras, using "Freerun" for the genlock setting is advised as the Ki Pro Mini will autodetect incoming format and frame rate based on the incoming SDI or HDMI signal and it will lock to that signal. The genlock setting is designed for playback purposes."

Hope this helps somewhat.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:13:04 pm

Just to be clear...
When using an outboard viewfinder like the Cineroid or the Zacuto EVF, and recording to the KiPro Mini cleanly, there is no way to see the viewfinder display information..It's one of those logistical gotcha's (like when I blew out my father's hifi speakers by hooking up the input and output of the recorder and blasted them with feedback by mistake).

When dual link is on, it turns off the HDMI port on the camera. A clean 4:2:2 signal is sent from port A of the dual link bnc connector on the camera and the outboard viewfinder needs to be connected to the HDMI out port of the Mini.
You'll get a clean feed to the outboard viewfinder, but won't have a record light in the display.

If you turn off the dual link, and feed the Mini from the sdi port on the camera, you need to make sure the display on/off in the menu is off. Unfortunately, that also turns off the display to the HDMI port also, so you have no camera information in the outboard viewfinder (fed from the camera's HDMI port) in that case either.

Not a big deal, because both EVF and Cineroid viewfinders provide zebra and focus helpers...You just don't have the other camera info; most importantly the record light.

When Zacuto comes out with their sdi version of the EVF, you'll be able to feed that vf from the sdi and the Mini from the dual link...
The camera is able to separate display on/off to the standard video out, but that doesn't help in this case.
-m

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:02:41 pm

"When using an outboard viewfinder like the Cineroid or the Zacuto EVF, and recording to the KiPro Mini cleanly, there is no way to see the viewfinder display information.."

Once you preform the free upgrade you will have access to the A SDI Dual Link spigot and you can turn it on from the Video Set menu and use it for the external recorder and set the SDI/HDMI Output to either HDMI or SDI Out spigot to have the camera display information to run to the EVF. You are right about losing one of the ports (SDI Out/HDMI) when the Dual Link is active, and for me this is fine.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:37:32 pm

Thanks Michael-

"...set the SDI/HDMI Output to either HDMI or SDI Out spigot to have the camera display information to run to the EVF."

You are absolutely right! I didn't blow up those speakers after all. Though you lose the regular sdi port, you still can have the display information fed through to the outboard viewfinder from the HDMI out and feed a clean signal to the Ki Pro Mini from the dual link.

Now the question is: Is it worth it to get the full dual link 4:4:4 for $3000+++ to take full advantage of the camera? I plan on going for it, though one must have an outboard 4:4:4 recorder like the Cinedeck or one of the others.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:45:26 pm

For me it is not so much 4:4:4 but single link 4:2:2 S-Log to a 10 bit or uncompressed recorder. I need a money tree.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:04:11 am

"What exactly does it mean when it says dual link?"
THis is an upgrade option that allows for Dual Link 4:4:4 to port out of the SDI a & b port for external recording.

"Do I need to run a SDI out of both a & b into the recorder so its works properly?"
No, If you have updated the free firmware to ver. 1.1 the a port is now active and you should use this for the Ki Pro Mini, just know it will ad to the voltage consumption and if not needed it should not be selected for longer battery life.

"an I with dual link on just run one single bnc cable out of SDI into the kipro mini."
The Ki Pro Mini only records single link signals as ProRez 4:2:2 and you will never need to feed it a dual link signal.

"Better yet if I just keep that setting (1.5G YPbPr422 & Video) off and have the bnc running out of the SDI to the kipro will it still shoot prores HQ 1920x1080 422 10bit (of course these setting need to be enabled on the kipro)"
The F3 can supply the SDI and HDMI with display signals and the Ki Pro doesn't ever want to see these display settings signal so Yes if you have upgraded the F3 to the new 1.1 Firmware use the Dual link A port to feed the Ki PRo.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:52:01 pm

re the firmware upgrade for the F3: is this something that "comes with" the cameras that you can buy now, or is this an option that must be added, even to new cameras?

Bob C

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 23, 2011 at 5:24:33 pm

Bob,

The RGB444 "Option" is a paid for upgrade to the tune of $3680.

It does however come on a 32Gb SxS card which you can use, and the upgrade can be transported on that card from camera to camera.

JS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 23, 2011 at 8:42:24 pm

[john sharaf] "It does however come on a 32Gb SxS card"

I wonder whether Sony would actually make more money, from selling these cards, if they came with a great firmware upgrade for an extra $100 - instead of an extra $3000 or so.

Does Sony care whether the same firmware purchase is used on multiple cameras?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 23, 2011 at 8:44:33 pm

It can only be installed on one camera at a time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]