FORUMS: list search recent posts

best settings for matching Sony Z1 and EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
best settings for matching Sony Z1 and EX1R
on Jun 10, 2011 at 9:18:10 pm

I have to use these two cameras for a music video. They don't have to match precisely but it would be good to get them as close as possible. If anyone has already explored this topic, and has opinions, I'd be very interested in what they found.

Originally I wanted to use 24p and Cinegamma on the EX1R, but from what I've read, it appears that the comparable settings (Cineframe24, Cinematone) on the Z1 are problematic. My fallback position is 30p on the EX1R, and convert the Z1 footage from 60i to progressive in post. Or should I just shoot 60i on both?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: best settings for matching Sony Z1 and EX1R
on Jun 12, 2011 at 9:34:24 pm

Bob, I've done this setup except using EX3s instead of the EX1. I selected 30P on the EX and kept the Cineframe off on the Z1. Since I was using a pair of EX3s, I had more footage from those and I converted all of the Z1 clips in post.

The first obvious point is the softness of the Z1 footage as compared to the EX footage. 1440 vs. 1920 would explain most of that.

Another problem I had was trying to match the Z1 setup to the much more logical and useable PP settings of the EX.

And finally, the Z1 HDV footage did not fare well with the EX timeline. The previews looked fine, but on export, the HDV clips were way out of sync. It was, and may still be, an obscure bug in FCP. I tried a direct ingest from camera into a Blackmagic Multibridge Pro but that didn't work at all.

After re-capturing and re-linking the Z1 footage, I was able to get an acceptable export. My solution to the different look of video was to give the Z1 clips a heavy film effect via After Effects.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]