FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Needs to be Restored

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susana Travieso
Media Needs to be Restored
on Jun 4, 2011 at 7:01:53 pm

Read through the different threads but couldn't find any solution or explanation:

I use SDHC cards with a Hoodman adapter in my EX1r.. I often get the message: MEDIA ERROR - CANNOT PROCEED - MEDIA NEEDS TO BE RESTORED.

The camera never allows me to RESTORE the media but if I take the card out the media is not lost, I can download all the clips with the Clip Browser into a drive.

The hassle is that I have to stop the shoot to take out the card and switch slots and in order to start shooting with a new card.

Sometimes it happens 20 minutes after I start shooting or it may happen after 1 1/2 hours of shooting.

Can't figure out what is causing this.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
Re: Media Needs to be Restored
on Jun 4, 2011 at 11:53:35 pm

Hi Susana,
To reassure you, in relation to your media error, the Hoodman adapter is an unlikely cause of your problem...
The reasons for infrequent media errors can be caused by: -
(a) firmware version of your camera; we recommend the latest version for your EX1R 1.10v mininum, 1.15v being the latest.
(b) The SDHC memory card - not all memory cards are equal and occasionally they can cause an issue.
1) Can you please let us know what firmware version is your camera on; and
2) what SDHC media/memory card are you currently using?
We are more than happy to help you work out the best workflow solution.
Regards, Maggie

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 5, 2011 at 5:41:21 pm

If it's happening while the camera is recording it usually means the card writing isn't fast enough. Marek of MXM lists cards that they've tested.
http://mxmexpress.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Generally when I buy media I run my own test. I buy cards in pairs. I put one in each slot and let the camera record straight through without stopping. If you get a restore message at any point it means the card may not be fast enough.

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:58:07 pm

Craig --I use Hoodman RAW and Sandisk Extreme Pro and have problems with both. Thanks for your reply. I will check the link.

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:55:35 pm

Hi Maggie --thanks for your reply, I am traveling at the moment, as soon as I can get the info regarding the firmware I will e-mail you.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:56:56 pm

While it would be good to know the firmware version that is not the likely cause. If the firmware was too low the media would probably not be recognized at all and there would be an "unknown media" error. When these Restore errors come up during recording it is almost always because of the media itself. Either it is having trouble keeping up or there is some other issue with how it is taking the data from the camera's recording buffer. If you see this issue with the latest firmware and multiple SDHC cards of the same make/spec, you may want to try a different card. The use of media adaptors in and of itself is not a problem, though we'd prefer that you use SxS cards. (Not simply because they are made by Sony--- if you have a problem with an SxS card there is more that we can do in the way of support. With SDHC cards there is only so much we can do.)

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 6, 2011 at 2:01:47 pm

Ian --I use Hoodman RAW and Sandisk Extreme Pro and have problems with both. I guess I will have to spend the $$ and get the SXS cards. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 6, 2011 at 2:08:04 pm

Ian, I have to disagree. I had this issue with the old firmware. After I updated it, I never had this problem again.

Have you had this problem with other cards? Or do you only have the one card. Try other cards. If you don't have that problem with other cards, it's your card. If you have the same cards, and they all give you this problem, your cards may not be compatible, or to slow to keep up....or you need to upgrade your firmware.

Post your card info, so we are not guessing.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:16:42 pm

Interesting. Were you below 1.10? Usually with media support it is all-or-nothing. All 1.15 adds is support for SxS-1A and high speed Memory Sticks. 1.10 added official support for SDHC cards. If I put an SDHC card into a pre-1.10 EX1R I would expect to see an unknown/unsupported media error.

From the release notes:

[1.10]

[Change Points]

1. SDHC cards are now supported. (Optional media adaptor MEAD-SD01 is required.)

2. The title setting of maximum 46 characters is enabled.

3. Display of a long clip name on the CLIP INFO screen is enabled. (Long display mode)

4. The camera data that is stored by PMW-EX1 or PMW-EX3 can be recalled by PMW-EX1R.

5. Switching of the Image Inversion setting with S&Q ON is enabled.

[1.15]

[Change Point]

Usable media

▪ New SxS-1 (SBS-32G1A/64G1A) memory card is supported.

▪ MS-HXA series is supported.

If only for future reference, can you let me know what version you upgraded from/to?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ian

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:37:23 pm

Ian -- I haven't upgraded the firmware, been using the camera as it came from factory -- the firmware at the moment is 1.00v.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:41:34 pm

Ian:

I don't remember which version of firmware I had, but I bought my EX-1 within a year of it's release, so it was a pretty early version.

Some people had no problems using the SD adaptors, but as newer different cards became available, it became a crapshoot. Even cards that were working for other's, were not necessarily working across the board. I just know that my experience has shown the new firmware fixed all of these previous issues.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:51:17 pm

ok, good to know, and it turns out Susana was at 1.0. hopefully she'll be ok once the camera is upgraded.

thx..

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:33:27 pm

Brent --So far the problems happens with the Hoodman RAW can the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.
It might be the firmware, my camera has 1.00v. How can I upgrade to 1.15v?

Thanks, Susana

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:36:12 pm

Craig is right the cards that stop and give the MEDIA ERROR - CANNOT PROCEED - MEDIA NEEDS TO BE RESTORED can't sustain the data rate demands.

I have only had a few early issues and I'm still using the same 12-Transcend class 6 cards that I've had for well over 2 years now. I just purchased the F3 and that camera didn't seem to like the adapters or some newer cards I just purchased. The new cards are the same Transcend 16gig class 6 just like the others, the F3 gave the unknown media message and wouldn't format them, so I tried in the EX3 and had no issue formatting them. Recently I gave a client 3 of my SDHC cards and when I got them back I had an issue with one of the new Transcend cards not mounting in my Mac and when I placed the card back into the F3 it didn't even see it. I tried the card in every device I had and it just didn't mount, I finally tried it on my EX3 and it gave me the Restore message and now thew card is fine. I use the MxR adapters and I fine if there is a mounting issue I remove the card and reinsert it and in most cases it works, or I try a different slot and it works.

You really need to test these SDHC CARDS extensively to trust them or spend the money for the SxS cards.

I'm a big believer in redundant recording and I use the Nano Flash for my main media files and the EX for the backup.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:28:43 pm

Maggie:

I checked the firmware and I have 1.00v. How can I upgrade to 1.15v?
I use Hoodman RAW and Sandisk Extreme Pro memory cards.

Thanks for your help. Susana

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:46:13 pm

Sony's EX1 website has links to upgrading. But, if you are not technologically savvy, you can actually damage your camera and it'll cost thousands to fix. You have to upgrade one firmware at a time. You cannot jump to the latest without upgrading previous versions.

I would recommend spending the few hundred dollars that Sony or other certified repair shop will charge you to do the upgrade. They will charge you a flat rate and do the upgrade.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:58:32 pm

Thanks for the advise. Will look at the website and decide what to do. Most of the replies indicate that I can do it. There are no Sony places in the DC area, so I would have to ship it.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:48:31 pm

Ok, in a way that's good news, as you are simply below the supported version. I am very surprised that it accepts the cards at all.

The firmware and detailed installation instructions can be downloaded here:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jun 6, 2011 at 6:47:00 pm

Ian I know you will correct me if I am wrong but if she has 1.00 she HAS to have it done by Sony. It says on the link you sent that it MUST be 1.04 to use that link.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 6, 2011 at 6:54:17 pm

the 1.04/1.05 cutoff is only for the EX1, not the 1R, so she should be able to upgrade herself should she want to go that route.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:10:14 pm

Oh...missed the little r.

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:00:35 pm

Ian --should I upgrade first to the lower numbers, or I can go strait to the latest version?
Thanks so much for the advise.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:42:25 pm

You can go directly to 1.20, which is the latest. It's a fairly simple procedure; basically you copy the firmware file to an SXS card and update from the camera menu (Others-->Version Up). It is safe and is meant to be performed by users/operators but if you'd prefer to send it in Sony will do it for you. If you'd like assistance upgrading it yourself you can call 800 883 6817 and someone from the support team will walk you through it. Note that this is a US toll free #.

US download with instructions and release notes:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-PMWEX1R.aspx

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:51:45 pm

Thank you so much. Will do.
Susana

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:35:01 pm

Hi Susana,
When did you purchase the adapter?
What size/capacity is the SanDisk Extreme Pro - 16GB or 32GB?

In regards to your firmware upgrade, it is possible to do this yourself.
Best- Maggie

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:55:27 pm

Maggie -I bought the adapter 1 year ago, it's a Hoodman. I've had problems with both, the 32G and the 16G. Will look at the link to upgrade the firmware, but I am considering sending it to Sony. Thanks

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Jun 7, 2011 at 7:47:53 pm

Hi Susana, Ok, so it is the firmware...if you feel comfortable with sending your EX1R to Sony for an upgrade, that's cool. We are also more than happy to help you, guide you through it. Best- Maggie

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Susana Travieso
on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:18:28 pm

OK, Maggie, I appreciate your help.
Susana

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]