FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony FS100 vs EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sander Saar
Sony FS100 vs EX1R
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:22:04 pm

Hi!
I started with film several years years ago (still new), using small mobiles and later handheld consumer camcoders etc.
Now been doing several corporate videos, live streams, event videos, TV clips and have a need for my own camera (no more renting). So far been using EX3 and EX1 most of the time. The purpose still is most of the time web video.
Therefore I am considering three options and would like a little bit of help from experienced people. I am choosing between:
1) Sony EX1R
2) Sony NEX-FS100

What do you think which one would be the best for my purposes?

PS! What do you think about this review. Is it adequate http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=268 ?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony FS100 vs EX1R
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:43:16 pm

I don't see it as a "vs" since they serve different purposes. I have EX1 and I'm thinking of getting the FS100 as it fits a different intent.

If you're shooting "cinematic" such as local cable tv spots or story driven corporate work, the FS100 would be good. Also if you're shooting interviews or product shots that benefit from shallow depth of field again the FS100 would be good. Given the need to use ND filters and/or matte box, the inability for servo zoom, the FS100 required a bit more setup time and planed use.

If you're doing run and gun, ENG, or fast setups to move to multiple locations, need to track fast moving subjects with changing focal plans, servo controlled creep zooms then the EX1R is better suited to that work.

Return to posts index

Sander Saar
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:13:54 pm

You are absolutely right I think. There serve different purposes and sometimes for promotions, corporate, web, it is good to have a bigger sensor, shallow depth of field "film look", but for events "point-and-shoot" purposes there is nothing better than EX1R I think.
I just once again went through these comparison videos by Philip Bloom (Sony FS100 , Sony F3 and Panasonic AF100/101) and where he also says that DSLRs just are about as good as FS100 or AF100.
In addition looking at most of the videoprofessionals' gear, then they tend to have one Sony EX1, EX3 or even F350. And then additional gear of DSLR cameras (such as 5D mark II or 7D). I already own a Canon 60D with 24-105mm L lens.

What do you think? Is it better then to start with EX1R and then buy the second camera as FS100 or Pana AF101 or still start with FS100, because everyone wants a cine look and feel even on the web?

All of them are missing something and have something that others dont.

Let me know if there are any other aspects I should consider! I appreciate your help a lot!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:26:57 pm

As Craig said the FS100 doesn't come with any ND filters and this alone is where the end user will need to figure out how to deal with the ultra sensitive super 35mm sensor. There is no doubt the FS100 will become the next best SDLR killer and it will never be a solid solution for ENG. The FS100 is for the end user who wants to use manual setting and manual lenses. The FS100 uses the Sony E-mount and there are plenty of lens adapters available for still lenses and motion pictures lenses to choose from. I believe the person who purchases the FS100 wants to choose their composition when trying a lens, wants to learn how to properly exposure the sensor with a chosen lens, wants to manually focus this lens and wants to learn how to move the camera with the necessary added gear to focus and expose for this lens, all for a cinematic look that will please a wide group of people. I welcome these large sensor cameras, and hope we start seeing some talented individuals who will have the necessary gear and skills to operate these cameras.

I have the Sony PMW-F3 and my EX3 makes for a great duo.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Sander Saar
on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:26:34 pm

Thanks a lot Michael for your reply!

It still made me think of EX1R first and then have a FS100 as a companion later on, when I could afford it as well.

What would you do if you were me?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:18:03 pm

First you need to evaluate your what works best for your business and stay true to it. If you're just starting out and you have been renting the EX1 then it is this camera you have built up your business with and is most likely the best choice to stay with. Once you have worked and paid off this first camera you will need to ask yourself again what is best for my business and is another EX1 the best choice, or do I want to add another dimension to my look and expand my business in another way, and do I know what all the extra gear is going to cost to properly use it.

I can't answer this for you, these are just tools to work with, you just need to be honest with what works best for you to be successful.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]