FORUMS: list search recent posts

sony sxs card reader/clip browser

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
sony sxs card reader/clip browser
on May 30, 2011 at 6:50:44 pm

how much faster do clips transfer via the sxs reader vs. the camera?
also,
just shot a wedding and went to transfer clips via sony clp browser. after i transfer them, i open the bpav folder and theres 4 files in each folder one file being the mp4. there will be multiple folders of each of these, so when i open up edius and want to load the clips i have to open each folder and highllight the mp4 and bring it in. i seem to remember that there i could just highlight all the mxf files and bring them in all at once..
what am i missing here??

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: sony sxs card reader/clip browser
on May 31, 2011 at 1:37:45 pm

Transfer speeds will be roughly the same, as both are USB 2.0 devices. For a faster transfer you'd need to use a built in express card slot with the SxS driver installed.

Edius supports direct import and you can also use Clip Browser as a plug-in. Tools-->XDCAM EX CLIP BROWSER-->drag thumbnails into Edius. File(s) will remain in their original location until you transfer to project media (Right Click-->Transfer...).

EX records MPEG-2 with an .mp4 wrapper. Optical XDCAM discs record .mxf files. You can use CB to convert .mp4 to .mxf
if you need .mxf files..

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: sony sxs card reader/clip browser
on May 31, 2011 at 1:46:06 pm

If you have a built in express card reader, it is much faster. If you import from the camera, just make sure you have plenty of power when using your battery. The camera or external reader will be the same speed.

I just copy the entire BPAV folder onto my drive. I don't use Edius, so I can't be of any help there.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite