FORUMS: list search recent posts

sports dvd(pal+dvd)+BD how to film best?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Rossmeier
sports dvd(pal+dvd)+BD how to film best?
on May 27, 2011 at 3:27:02 pm

Hi,
I am looking for some advise...
We'll go on a big shoot for a sports project. It's gonna be an instructional feature where we will need as good as possible slowmo and also sharp stop motion pictures.

The final product should then be available as PAL+NTSC DVDs, as well as BD with 1280x720. Also we'll use the footage for mobile apps (iPhone,...).

We are going to shoot primarily with an EX1R. Also available are Canon 7D and 5D cameras.

To have good stop motion and clear single frames we'll most probably use a shutter of something 1/250 to 1/500 for most of it...

It's the first time we use the EX1R. The overcranking feature looks very interesting to me as quality of the base material should be superior compared to "normal" 720/50p filming and working with it at 25fps (+ using twixtor). And we won't need audio anyway, so it seems awesome...

Now i am scratching my head on how to actually film best (24p, 25p or 30p overcranked to 60 or 50?) for easiest workflow and the highest possible quality for the creation of all the target formats...?

Anybody with some advise or with experience in similar projects?

thanks!!!
Michael

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: sports dvd(pal+dvd)+BD how to film best?
on May 27, 2011 at 7:15:48 pm

I film a lot of sports. You are on the right track, but you won't get that SUPER Slomo effect without using a camera made for it.

720p at 50 for PAL is only going to double the frame rate and give you that smooth 50% slow motion. If you want to slow it down to a super slomo rate, then maybe your software you mentioned will fill that gap.

It all depends how slow you need the footage to be. You can also rent some of the high speed cameras.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Michael Rossmeier
Re: sports dvd(pal+dvd)+BD how to film best?
on May 30, 2011 at 9:02:47 am

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the tip,..

Well, i know the slowmo effect by filming 50p and then slowing down to 50% and a bit further with twixtor for example... thats fine... i know that...
Unfortunately i can't afford a high speed cam... :)

But actually, i am just looking for advise on the best way to shoot all the footage for all those end products. We will create a DVD PAL, DVD NTSC, BD 720 + want to have the best possible quality for slow motion and stop motion images.

Now as i see it, we have the choice to shoot
1280x720 in 24p, 25p or 30p
all overcranked to 60p

The whole project will be edited in 1280x720.

In any case we need to downscale it to PAL/NTSC DV for the DVD's.
We will keep it full quality for Blueray.
For online video and mobile devices we can use any framerate 24,25,30, doesn't matter i would say.

Now... I need to decide the base frame rate - whats the least effort, where do i have least quality loss for all the end products, whats best for an instructional action sports DVD?

thanks!
Rossi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]