whts a good uv filter for ex1r
on May 24, 2011 at 6:01:14 pm

just got a new ex1r camcorder, whats a good uv filter for it
thx

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: whts a good uv filter for ex1r
on May 24, 2011 at 8:47:47 pm

As in price or quality? Have you tried this site called Google yet?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on May 24, 2011 at 9:11:41 pm

I use the B&W Infrared/UV #486. You'll need the IR cut. It's not inexpensive, but it's good glass.

Rick

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 24, 2011 at 9:41:37 pm

never heard of it.
thx

Return to posts index

John Street
on May 25, 2011 at 2:06:04 pm

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your input ... I was very interested to read in the B&H post that the filter is "clear and colorless."

I am an EX-3 owner, and I use a Tiffen IR filter to cut the unwanted color from IR pollution.
https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=TIT1IR77&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

In general I'm happy with my Tiffen filter -- it's astounding how it fixes the blacks in a scene ... but there's definitely a significant amount of light lost when using it, and there's a visible green cast that needs to be eliminated by white balancing on a proper white card before the shoot.

So I find myself constantly switching back and forth between the IR filter and my regular UV filter -- inconvenient and time-consuming.

Tell us about your experience with your filter. Do you find that it is indeed colorless and that there's no light loss (just like a normal UV filter) but that it is effective at cutting out the unwanted IR pollution (like muddy or maroon blacks in a scene) without coloring the rest of the scene?

This would be pretty cool!

thanks,

--
John Street
http://www.inpoint.tv
Mac OS 10.6.6, FCS 7.0.3, QT 7.6.6, Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core, 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on May 25, 2011 at 4:40:00 pm

John, I don't think there is any light loss. If there is, it's negligible. As far as color, I never noticed any difference until I did a comparison with and without the filter. There is some chroma desaturation and I would say that the image is slightly greener. These are very, very small amounts and its never been an issue for me. Your best bet would be to try it yourself and see if it's OK for you.

Rick

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on May 25, 2011 at 4:45:36 pm

Oh, and it does a very good job of removing the IR pollution.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 26, 2011 at 9:08:52 am

Interesting thread this. I have used a 'Tiffen UV' filter (that's what is written round the edge) since I had my EX 1 and have noticed no colour or light loss problems. In fact there is a technical expert writing for a magazine here in the UK who bemoans the use of any filters on a permanent basis on the grounds that modern filter coatings are so good any additional glass would degrade the picture. I use mine mainly for protection but I always understood that UV filtering assists colour rendering, especially the sky in sunny weather.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]