FORUMS: list search recent posts

bye to sd gear/finally going hd ex1r/3??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
bye to sd gear/finally going hd ex1r/3??
on May 22, 2011 at 5:31:05 am

i was able to sell my sd cameras and am moving to purchase an ex1r/ex3.
im leaning to the ex1r. alittle less in price although i love the viewfinder of the ex3,
but the ergonomics of the 3 for shoulder shooting is bad. ( could buy olofs adaptor)
so my issue is getting used to using an lcd only on the r after years of a gorgeous b/w vf
or adjusting to the ex3 and an adaptor.
anyone else go through this similar situation?
thanks
also, trying to decide if im comfortable enough with the sxs adaptors/ hoodman/sandisk etc.
or the safer route but paying a fortune for 32 gb sxs cards at 745 each.
input appreciated

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
Re: bye to sd gear/finally going hd ex1r/3??
on May 22, 2011 at 5:34:41 pm

Shooting handheld with the EX3, while not ideal, is very doable. Full shoulder mounting would be better, but then you'ld have to move up to the PMW-320 and pay more for the camera itself and batteries. The EX3 will still give you four points of contact: the shoulder pad, cheek pad, hand grip and lens. Adjusting the hand grip to a comfortable angle is very helpful. I can shoot handheld for hours. The viewfinder is definitely worth it over the EX1R.

Rick

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on May 22, 2011 at 5:43:49 pm

Also, you'll be fine with the SxS adaptors. I've used Hoodman, MxM and MxR. I do have a Hoodman that the camera no longer recognizes, but I've never had a problem while shooting. Class 10 SDHC cards from San
Disk and Transcend have worked fine for me.

Rick

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 22, 2011 at 6:04:19 pm

i will probably suck it up and buy the sxs. why didnt it recognize the hoodman??that would be a concern for me.
i know i can get the r now, but may wait for the 3. have you tried the adaptors out there for the 3 to help balance on your shoulder?
best ive seen is the one at westsideav.com
how is the zoom on your 3? i hear its luck of the draw, some are real jerky and not smooth and some are good

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on May 22, 2011 at 8:00:07 pm

why didnt it recognize the hoodman??

Not sure why it no longer recognizes the Hoodman adapter.

have you tried the adaptors out there for the 3 to help balance on your shoulder?

I haven't tried the adapters because I'm OK hand-holding the camera as-is.

how is the zoom on your 3? i hear its luck of the draw, some are real jerky and not smooth and some are good

My zoom is not that great. I'd imagine the EX1 has the same issues. Can't really get a nice "feathered" zoom and I can only go as low as 4 on the zoom setting

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 22, 2011 at 8:56:31 pm

Jim, I also found it difficult focus wise after the great finder on my old DSR 300 but have gradually got used to my EX 1 and the screen. I too was tempted by the EX 3 finder but didn't want the extra weight as I am hand holding a lot with my current documentaries. I use the CVP shoulder mount (from Mitcorp) which is both light in weight and cheap to buy and the ergonomics are great. The problem is I can't get my eye near to the wonderful add on finder available from Hoodman. This almost replicates the finder fitted over the EX 3 screen and is just as effective. I also prefer to stick with the safety of the Sony S X S cards. How many do you need? I get by with 2 X 16 GB's and 1 X 8GB. If I'm shooting more in a day then I download to a small portable drive using my MacBook Pro. It only takes 15 minutes for 16 GB's so where's the problem? These cards are expensive but hey, film was far worse!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 22, 2011 at 10:32:41 pm

michael, ive used the hoodman loupe, its pretty crisp.
ill have to adjust to my right eye when i tripods as using my left, i hit the side of the camera.
im left eye dominant.
also, that shoulder mount is from overseas.
wish there was a distributor here.
does your ex have a good/or bad zoom speed? ive heard its luck on what you get
i can get the 16 sxs for 350 each.
i may get 4 of those .
how much time do you get shooting at full hd?
how much was the cvp shoulder mount.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 23, 2011 at 9:46:22 am

Jim, I'm left eyed too, I think we've had this conversation before. That shoulder mount is awesome although there's nothing much to it and it's so light. What do you mean by 'overseas'? Here in Europe we consider ourselves in the real centre of the world. PAL and all that glitters. If you look on the MitCorp site you could probably by the kit, not much money, I think I paid about $100 in your money.

I have had no problem at all with the zoom on my EX 1 - smooth as silk - and easy to go as slow as I want.
I hardly ever use more than 32 GB's of cards on a single shoot so don't need too many. I get about 55 minutes of 1920 X 1080i on a 16 GB S X S card.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 23, 2011 at 12:50:02 pm

hey michael, i had heard the shppng was as much as the unit.
do they have a toll free number?
thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 23, 2011 at 3:03:08 pm

No idea, look at their site. There must be dozens of similar supports available wherever you are.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 23, 2011 at 5:02:56 pm

I am using the DM Accessories shoulder mount and it works great. Unlike some mounts it does not protrude below camera level where it goes over the shoulder so you can set the camera down and it rests level on the tripod plate without falling over.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 23, 2011 at 5:13:43 pm

I would recommend buying 2 SxS cards and then add the adapter with the SD cards as backup in case you run out of space on a long shoot.

The SxS cards have saved me on a couple of shoots where my shooter let the battery die. The cards restored themselves in camera with no problems. I can't say the same for the SD cards. I had 2 get wiped out and wasn't able to restore them.

Your best bet would be to also purchase an external CF recorder that would give you redundancy, so you have 2 locations of captured media. It's not cheap, but gives you peace of mind and security.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 23, 2011 at 5:55:51 pm

Jim, I just went through this process earlier this year. I evaluated the 350, 320, EX1R, and the EX3, finally settling on the EX1R. OTOH - I know several outstanding DPs (including Rick Diamond) who are also very smart equipment-wise, who chose the EX3. I almost chose the 350 (2/3" sensor, better lens, feathered zooms, better hand-held configuration) but the added weight and price sent me to the EX1R/EX3. The 320 - 1/2" sensor - why bother? I finally chose the EX1R over the EX3 mostly due to a conversation I had with a repairman who's seen a lot of broken EX3 viewfinders. I like the way the EX1R's viewfinder tucks safely into the handle.

otoh - Feathered zooms are hard to do with the supplied lens (which can't be replaced on the EX1R but can be on the EX3).

After reading a lot of horror stories on this forum about the SD cards, I went the SxS route. Again, YMMV-- many excellent shooters have no problems with the SD cards.

Good luck. You are entering the HD world with many, many great choices, none of them bad. You'll be very happy with the quality, but you also need to think about how to deal with tapeless archiving.

Bob C

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 23, 2011 at 6:25:34 pm

thanks for the input bob. my dealer is getting 2 ex1rs in this week so im just going to get it.
i too will suck it up and get the sxs and soon hopefully get the nanoflash for that piece of mind backup.
im trying to decide if i want to get a 64gb sxs for 1260.00 or 4 16gb cards at 340 each. id be swapping the 16's out more, but ive got 3 backups in case one goes out. there are no 32s anywhere.
hopefully i will get an r with a decent zoom. i hear some are worse than others

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 23, 2011 at 7:27:31 pm

Jim, good luck, you won't be disappointed I feel sure. A final word of advice. Be sure to lay your hands (eyes) on the great DVD of Doug Jensen's EX workshop produced by Vortex Media. I got mine from my dealer but in America they seem rather tougher but do be sure to get one, it will save you hours of investigation and a lot of trouble.

Bob mentioned archiving, that's a whole heap of questions, make your film first then worry about that, no one seems to have arrived at the perfect answer yet. Sticking a final cut on to a tape and stacking it on the shelf is just not on any more.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 23, 2011 at 7:47:06 pm

The Nano Flash and Vortex Media's video are both great choices. You'll be set.

It doesn't hurt to go ahead and get the adaptor and some SD cards, good for personal shooting as well.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 23, 2011 at 8:00:15 pm

[Michael Slowe] "the great DVD of Doug Jensen's EX workshop produced by Vortex Medi"

I've been experimenting with the EX1R's advanced image control settings, and could benefit from a good guide. Does this DVD address those issues, or is there some other, better source?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 26, 2011 at 9:19:41 am

Jensen does cover Picture Profiles quite well but really concentrates on suggesting his own settings, arrived at after doing his own tests. The subject has been covered in great depth by people with great technical expertise on this forum in past months, maybe you can search it out. There is an expert EX cameraman called Chapman who lectures for Sony here in the UK, who has written papers on Picture Profiles and is well worth reading. He goes into the subject in great depth, I don't know how far you want to go, for me Jensen's settings seem just fine.

By the way, has anyone noticed how the editors and colourists for TV documentaries, are whacking up the saturation levels for HD to give, what to me, is a rather artificial look? Unless of course the DP's are setting this in camera.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 26, 2011 at 9:24:32 am

where are his profiles i can see and are they pretty easy to setup

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 26, 2011 at 9:33:17 am

Don't know I'm afraid, just do a search. Yes, any PP is easy to set up if you understand your camera and how to operate the menus. It's all very intuitive.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 26, 2011 at 1:10:30 pm

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 27, 2011 at 3:58:01 am

Thank you Craig! These videos give a great introduction to the topic -- especially in terms of keeping detail in highlights.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]