FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need for "Exercising" Storage Hard Drives?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Urschel
Need for "Exercising" Storage Hard Drives?
on May 19, 2011 at 12:20:25 pm

I have seen various posts on the need for "exercising" storage hard drives, and I do not do this (running 10 T storage in RAID 5 config, in case of a disc failure, which hasn't happened yet!). Is the idea of such "exercising" a superstion, or is there either 1) definitive research on the topic, or 2) does anyone out there have experience in backing up with AND without it, with anecdotal (sp?) comments supporting the desirability/need for such exercising. ANY replies (please, no rants!) would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Need for "Exercising" Storage Hard Drives?
on May 19, 2011 at 2:20:35 pm

Sure google for Sticktion. Hard drives not used for years can definitely fail. But then again hard drives are not ever advised for long-term archives. For that you want a dedicated medium such as LTO.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

William Urschel
on May 19, 2011 at 3:02:53 pm

Thank you Noah for you informative and quick response!

Return to posts index

William Urschel
on May 19, 2011 at 3:06:31 pm

Good grief! Static adhesion - I had NO idea. I'll be running mine frequently now. Thank you sooooooo much!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 20, 2011 at 9:55:59 am

Noah, might it be sensible to back up additionally the files on BD's, following what you say. Many of us are reluctant to go the LTO tape route, the player/recorder is expensive and many production houses I've spoken to don't like it anyway. I currently rely only on dedicated archive drives and run them frequently as you suggest. Do you see solid state non moving storage devices arriving soon?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on May 20, 2011 at 6:55:51 pm

I've had LTO fail as well. Not only the retrieval, but the actual cartridge. Anything is subject to failure.

I currently do a project level back to two separate but identical hard drives. I store one in a vault and the other I keep in my office. I use airtight storage containers (Snapware) for the vault, which is in another building. When the project data is small, say below 50GB, I'll go to BluRay as well.

I've got over 20TB of redundant drivespace (not all full)and no critical failures in the last five years. I do not "exercise" the drives in the vault, although it can't hurt.

In my opinion, redundancy is the best back up plan.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 20, 2011 at 8:57:15 pm

Yeah I've yet to see the perfect long term storage medium. LTO is best, if stored properly but way expensive.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 23, 2011 at 5:23:31 pm

Ultimately, multiple copies in different physical locations....in case of fire, theft, or other disaster.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite