FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX out of focus on right side of video

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kohn
XDCAM EX out of focus on right side of video
on May 15, 2011 at 5:09:11 pm

I rented an XDCAM-EX yesterday and watching the video today I am seeing a very ugly video. On most of the video that was shot (recording a dance performance) the right side of the video frame is blurry, while the rest of the video appears fine. It’s not a depth of field issue, as the distance to people in the footage are the same distance from the camera. There are a few occasions where the video is clear across the entire frame, and this appears to be related to my zoom factor. Note that I am using autofocus. Is there anything that I could be doing “wrong” when exporting the video that would cause this? I’m using the XDcam clip browsing software, and exporting to MXF and using Adobe PP CS5 for video editing. Also note I am not familiar with this camera, as I own Canon Xh-A1’s, but I needed an extra camera, and now I have a lot of blurry (out of focus) footage.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX out of focus on right side of video
on May 15, 2011 at 5:27:35 pm

There are too many possible causes. It's best that you post a link to the clip or all you're going to get is wild speculation.

Clean your lens.
Panning with autofocus may involve a moment for it to settle at the end of the pan.
You have a problem internal to the lens or the sensor that's made obvious at certain focal points and it needs to be serviced. It may be dirt or the old vignetting issue on early EX1.
Please keep hand or other objects away from right side lens when holding the camera.

Return to posts index

Tim Kohn
on May 15, 2011 at 6:34:54 pm

Attached is a CLIP from xdcam showing the focus issue.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 15, 2011 at 7:04:02 pm

Thanks for that. Stationary shot and the dancers on the far right are soft even though they're apparently on the same focal plane.

Have you tried cleaning the lens and any filters on it?
Have you been able to duplicate the issue in other scenarios?
Is this an EX camera with a removable lens?

Return to posts index

Tim Kohn
on May 15, 2011 at 8:10:44 pm

Lens/Filters are all clean, fixed lens. Since this was a one time stage performance, I can't duplicate scenerios or troubleshoot.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 15, 2011 at 8:09:19 pm

[Tim Kohn] "Since this was a one time stage performance, I can't duplicate scenerios or troubleshoot."

If there's a problem with the lens you should be able to duplicate anywhere. Simply go outside and use similar settings at some distant objects.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2011 at 3:18:05 am

Might be something inside the lens or on the sensor- etc. Worth getting serviced.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on May 16, 2011 at 6:17:48 pm

You can probably at least get the money back form the rental which is not going to help with the unhappy parents with the soft focus. You could make the rest of it soft focus and say it was the look you were going for.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 16, 2011 at 6:21:31 pm

Hmm, I just reread the post and noticed it was a rental so it's out of Tim's hands regarding repair.

Tim, there's nothing you could have done when copying the files that would create this. The rental house should take responsibility. You should contact them ASAP.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 16, 2011 at 9:47:33 pm

Really weird.
Not only the dancers are off focus: look at the lines in the background curtain.
I think too there is something wrong with that camera.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]