FORUMS: list search recent posts

wide angle converter for EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
wide angle converter for EX1R
on May 11, 2011 at 11:44:43 pm

There are several wide angle converters available for the EX1R, from 16x9, Century Precision/Schneider, and perhaps others.

I don't recall where I read some user feedback about these converters, and after doing a search I still can't find it. There were issues with focus and macro settings. If anyone knows more about this, I would appreciate benefiting from your experience.

I can't decide whether I want the "fish-eye" look or an aspheric, more linear appearance; I'm also debating how wide I want to go. If these converters are zoom-through, wouldn't it make sense to buy the widest I can afford, since that would include all the other angles?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
Re: wide angle converter for EX1R
on May 12, 2011 at 2:16:20 am

I have the Century 0.6 and it does a fairly good job. I believe the .70 (.75?) is a zoom-through. There IS some curvature with my .6 when you get it aligned with straight walls, but it does the job when you need to go wide. Just keep the dust off of the front element as they really light up when they get hit by direct sunlight.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 12, 2011 at 4:11:17 pm

[Dave Morrison] "Just keep the dust off of the front element as they really light up when they get hit by direct sunlight."

Derek also mentions that this; it appears that at least some of these WA adapters are focusing on the front element of the adapter? I have an adapter for my old Z1, and have noticed that the tiniest problem on the front element can be very distracting.

Are there any WA adapters which are less prone to this problem?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on May 12, 2011 at 3:40:31 pm

Bob, I have posted a link to a comparison test I did a while ago with all of Century Optics wide adapters. Since it was on a competitive forum site, it will be delayed by the Cow for 'bad words' (ie: mentioning the other forum) but should show up shortly. Check back for the link.... it will provide you with a lot of information about wide adapters for the EX1.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 12, 2011 at 3:47:03 pm

I also use the Century .6X and like it just fine. Keep in mind it is not zoom through, I can get about 50% zoomed in before I notice focus problems. You will need to turn on auto focus and macro mode to get it to focus and also, turn on the wide conversion option in the menu.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 12, 2011 at 4:28:47 pm

I have the x.75 and I think is very good (never tried other).
No problems for focus or macro unless you are having back-focus problems on your camera (I had some times on my EX-1.
As Dave points wisely, you must be very careful with dust.
I look forward to see Derek's document.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 12, 2011 at 6:23:56 pm

[Derek Reich] "it will be delayed by the Cow"

any hints as to how to Google this article?

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on May 13, 2011 at 1:29:00 am

Bob, I have the Sony VCL-EX0877 0.8x Wide Angle Lens Adapter and it works great. It costs $494.95 at B&H. It gives you 20% wider coverage with very little distortion and full zoom through capability. Resolution is very good over the entire frame.

Rick

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on May 13, 2011 at 1:29:46 am

Well, since the Cow still hasn't allowed the post, I'll try this:
There is a certain forum which uses the first letter of each of the two words 'Digital' and 'Video', combined with the first four letters of the word 'information'. I think you can figure this out.... go to that site, and do a search on either 'Century Optics wide angle', or my name. You should be able to find the post pretty easily.
Sorry it's so difficult. I've run into this with the Cow before, and it's annoying when all when all we're trying to do here is share information. Last time the post eventually showed up, but it took a day or two.....

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 13, 2011 at 8:40:07 am

[Derek Reich] "I've run into this with the Cow before, and it's annoying when all when all we're trying to do here is share information. Last time the post eventually showed up, but it took a day or two.....
"

You know?
The forum you do not mention is having me in permanent moderation (all my post are checked. Some time the show up quickly, some times takes few days. Some never show up).
That since a couple of years, and just because I posted a link to a relevant article from the COW.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]