FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Video Levels

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Morningstar
EX3 Video Levels
on May 4, 2011 at 8:50:02 pm

Everything I shoot comes into Premiere Pro hot -- suspiciously about 7.5 IRE hot. If I bring in the camera bars, levels are were they should be. And if I record black, it also hits at just a tich above 7.5. Am I missing something in the setup of the camera?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 Video Levels
on May 4, 2011 at 9:18:40 pm

"Hot" has to be relative to something. Hook the camera HD-SDI to a calibrated broadcast monitor and play the clips back as well as looking at bars out of the camera. Also check on waveform monitor.

You haven't mentioned your workflow so it's hard to know where things are going wrong. Perhaps you're adding 7.5 setup to your Premiere Pro monitoring. Perhaps you're adding setup and taking out of the camera analog. Perhaps you've made a custom Picture Profile and there's a problem with your settings.

Return to posts index

Warren Morningstar
on May 5, 2011 at 3:42:21 am

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Camera is essentially in it's "out of the box" configuration. "Hot" is referenced to the scope in Premiere Pro. Clips are transferred from the SxS card via the Sony Clip Browser and imported into Premier Pro using its Media Browser. Since I'm in NTSC world, the 7.5 setup box is checked on the Premiere scope. Clips typically show the darkest level at about 15 IRE, and whites can peak at about 115. If I record a clip of camera bars and import that into Pro, it reads correctly on the scope (black at 7.5, white at 100). If I record black in the camera (lens cap on), the clip reads slightly high, about 8.5 on the Premiere scope. I usually will set my exposure so that I see the 70% zebras just starting on the brightest spot on the face. The EX3 is new to me, and I'm not used to a camera with as many set up adjustments as this, so I really haven't changed much yet.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2011 at 4:17:05 am

[Warren Morningstar] "Since I'm in NTSC world, the 7.5 setup box is checked on the Premiere scope."

I don't know the details of your setup but digital source in an NLE should not be adding 7.5 setup. Analog out to scopes yes and Japan is NTSC as well and they don't add it at all.

[Warren Morningstar] "and whites can peak at about 115"

Then it's your system for sure. The camera isn't capable of that. It's 109 at most.

[Warren Morningstar] "it reads correctly on the scope (black at 7.5, white at 100)"

Bars from EX don't have setup. Black would be 0.

It sure sounds like you have an issue with your Premiere setup especially when see peaks of 115 which aren't possible from the camera.

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on May 10, 2011 at 4:03:24 am

[Craig Seeman] "I don't know the details of your setup but digital source in an NLE should not be adding 7.5 setup. Analog out to scopes yes and Japan is NTSC as well and they don't add it at all."

Does this mean the Analog Black Level on my Kona LH Control Panel should be 0 IRE? Default is 7.5 IRE

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 10, 2011 at 5:04:17 am

[Cade Muhlig] "Does this mean the Analog Black Level on my Kona LH Control Panel should be 0 IRE? Default is 7.5 IRE"

If you're outputting to BetaSP for example that would be fine.
Digital black is 0.
BTW Analog Black in Japan is also 0. It's one difference between USA NTSC and Japan NTSC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]