FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer missing Clips

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
W. Lawrence Stevens
XDCAM Transfer missing Clips
on May 3, 2011 at 7:25:03 am

I have proper workflow but am experiencing trouble with XDCam Transfer

I maintain each BPAV folder intact directly from the PDW350 camera. I upload the BPAV folder to a harddrive and use XDCam Transfer 2.12 to import into FCP.

Lately, XDCam Transfer is missing files. For instance, let's say we start and stop the camera 5 times during shooting a scene. We end up with 5 sequentially numbered folders under the CLPR folder.

The problem occurs when the sequence -- for some unknown reason -- do not flow, Instead, a folder number is duplicated by the camera with a "_02" to indicate it is different. The sequence would look like this:

412_0692_01
412_0693_01
412_0694_01
412_0694_02
412_0695_01

In this series, there are two folders 412_0694 with completely different content. XDCam Transfer, however, sees and imports only one of the folders. How do I fix this?

Thank you.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM Transfer missing Clips
on May 3, 2011 at 1:56:17 pm

Normally the card image you described would indicate spanned clips (clips broken down into segments because the record time was over 4 GB or because recording was switched between cards). Are seeing totally random content in ..694_2? When you look at the clips in thumbnail mode on the camera, do you see the same images you see for the questionable clips in XDCAM Transfer? What does Clip Browser or XDCAM Browser show for these files? Also how were they copied and from what kind of media?

If you want to post the mediapro.xml file located on the root of /CLPR I could probably give you a better idea of what's going on. Otherwise try the following:

1) Use Clip Browser or XDCAM Browser to rebuild the BPAV from the raw .mp4s (assuming the actual media files are correct when viewed in either of these apps). Do this by file-->importing the .mp4s to a new folder.

2) Copy the individual .mp4s to a new folder and try adding that folder as a source in XDCAM Transfer

3) Copy the files back to an SxS card and use the camera to try and re-sync the mediapro.xml file (menu-->others-->clip-->update).

If what you're seeing and describing is accurate the worst case scenario could be that mediapro.xml got corrupted and is pointing to the wrong clip(s) or repeating clip UMIDs (the unique digital ID for each .mp4). These are kind of way-out-there scenarios so let's hope there's a simple answer.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]