FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1r SDI Out to Stedicam Pilot Monitor Problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Velez
Sony EX1r SDI Out to Stedicam Pilot Monitor Problem
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:25:04 am

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me get through this bit of difficulty that I'm having. I recently got a Stedicam Pilot and I'm trying to get my Sony EX1r to display what the camera is seeing onto the Stedicam Pilot's monitor. Now, I'm not sure in which way im supposed to do that. Do I use the BNC to RCA adapter the Stedicam came with and go SDI out from my EX1r to the Stedicam's RCA video In, or do i go HDMI out from the EX1r to the Stedicam's RCA video in? The Stedicam did come with a BNC to RCA adapter which I put on the SDI Out on my EX1r and then attached an RCA video cable from that adapter on EX1r to the RCA video in on the Stedicam Pilot.

I went into my EX1r's menu screen and set the output to HD SDI Component, and nothing displayed on on the Stedicam's monitor. I tried both AV1 and AV2 mode's on the Stedicam's monitor and it didn't show anything. I also tried setting the output to SD SDI Component and I still didn't see an image on the Stedicam's monitor. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or If i'm missing something or what but, I just need to get an image on the Stedicam's monitor. Is there anyone that might possibly have an answer for me or that could assist me through this problem until it is solved? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Sony EX1r SDI Out to Stedicam Pilot Monitor Problem
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:18:02 am

Tony,

Is the monitor you are trying to connect to digital or analogue?

From what you stated I'm sure you don't have a clue. RCA connecters are analogue, BNC can be both digital or analogue. Digital uses a BNC (SDI=Serial Digital Interface) or HDMI (High Def Media Interface) connecter.

What I believe you need to do is look at the setting on the camera for display output and send an analogue signal (Composite Out) to your monitor. Composite is the yellow RCA connector.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Tony Velez
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:25:09 am

The Monitor on the Stedicam Pilot is in fact Analog. It only has RCA video inputs on it. So based on what you have said, I need to set my Sony EX1r output to Composite Out so that it is an Analog signal coming out of the SDI Out port on the EX1r and into the Monitor's RCA video input. Correct?

I just tried this and I still have no image on the Stedicam Pilot's Monitor. Out Select is set to Composite, and the Video Out Display is set to On. I believe my camera's firmware is currently V1.10

I hope that's the latest firmware available for my camera. Not sure though.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Apr 28, 2011 at 9:43:16 am

Your monitor needs to be fed from the EX1r's AV out, not from SDI, because your monitor does not have SDI input. You need to use the special cable that came with the cam, the one that has three RCAs (yellow, white and red) on one end and a semi-circular pin on the other end.
-BC

Return to posts index

Tony Velez
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:39:09 pm

Problem solved. I totally forgot about the A/V cable that came with the camera. I connected that from the EX1r to the monitor and the image showed up on the Steadicam Pilot Monitor. Essentially, there was never a problem at all. I just thought that since the Stedicam came with a bnc to RCA adapter that they expected you to go out of the SDI and to the monitor which isn't possible with the type of monitor the Stedicam has. Anyways, thanks for responding. I appreciate everyone's input. Great forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:59:14 am

The latest firmware for EX1r is 1.15. It is fairly easy to upgrade and you should. I do not think it will solve this problem though.

Return to posts index

Tony Velez
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:55:07 pm

I tried to download Sony's latest firmware for the EX1r but their download page for it seems to not function properly when using Safari. I tried using Google Chrome instead and everything on each sony page loaded correctly and the download started without a problem. Weird. Also, is there any particular software that I will need in order to install the new firmware into the EX1r? I am on a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.7

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:43:06 pm

It does not work with Safari...as you know. I believe you just copy it on to an SXS card from the computer and load it into the EX1r. There is a menu function called version up. Make sure you have an uninterrupted power source while doing this. Ian will jump in here if I am wrong I am sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]