FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wide gamut IPS monitor for video?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Reich
Wide gamut IPS monitor for video?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:06:59 am

I am about to pick up a new IPS monitor for photo (still) editing.... but it also has HDMI inputs. The monitor claims 102% of NTSC gamut. Would this monitor also work in a pinch for an HD video display? Any issues with using either an IPS display for video, or such a wide gamut? (I'm kind of assuming the wider the gamut the better for video, but there are issues with untagged still images with wide gamut displays)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Wide gamut IPS monitor for video?
on Apr 30, 2011 at 8:09:13 pm

I don't have an answer but I am playing in the same pond.

I bought an HP LP2475w as a second monitor (two monitor computer setup) which is a Wide Gamut monitor which also has HDMI in. I calibrate it with Spyder Elite 3. I've noticed that the Datacolor calibration software has a Rec709 target option. I also have a Matrox MXO2-LE with HDMI out feeding HDMI of the HP monitor. I haven't tested its new and improved monitor calibration feature yet though.

I will note that the wide gamut is certainly evident when compared to my 23" Cinema Display. Part of the confusing nomenclature is that Wide Gamut monitors are often described using terms like 102% of NTSC (and "standard" gamut 70something%) without much explanation of the term.

I don't have answers for you yet but I'd thought I'd let you know that I'm looking at the same puzzle. Of course this isnt' directly related to the XDCAM EX though. Perhaps there if there were a generic Color Grading forum or maybe a forum for those too cheap to buy a broadcast monitor, we could post this puzzle there.

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on May 8, 2011 at 2:31:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, Craig.
We've got the same monitor.... this is what I purchased, too. Unfortunately, when I bought it thinking I could use it as a field monitor for the EX3 in a pinch, I forgot the EX3 doesn't have HDMI. But the component inputs work fine. The picture from the EX is beautiful, and just choosing the NTSC profile already in my computer doesn't look too bad. Let me know what you find calibrating with the Spyder? I know this is capable of looking better.... and for critical still editing (the real reason I bought it) the reds are waaaaaaay over saturated. (this is consistent with what others have experienced too, but when properly calibrated it should be quite a good display) Now I need to go shopping for a spyder.....

Return to posts index

Valeriu Campan
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:05:44 am

Hi Craig,
Do you have any more info about calibrating in REC709 with Spyder Elite?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]