FORUMS: list search recent posts

i don't know where to post this question.....

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben traylor
i don't know where to post this question.....
on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:50:46 pm

I'm doing a video for a client and the talent used the word Jumbotron standing in front of a big video board that's not a Sony. Jumbotron is a Sony trademark. Even if it's a Sony trademark, where can I go to see if it's a generecized trademark? For example, Kleenex and Xerox are obvious trademarks but they're genercized trademarks because they mean something beyond the brand.

I'm probably going to have to end up reshooting that one scene because the talent said Jumbotron. It's not that big of a deal but does anyone know where I can find this information to see if Jumbotron could be used when not directly taking about a Sony video board?

Thanks,

http://www.bentraylor.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: i don't know where to post this question.....
on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:53:37 pm

Hi Ben,

Internet is wonderful source. Here's what Wikipedia (#1 listing on Google search) says:

JumboTron is a large-screen television using technology developed by Sony, typically used in sports stadiums and concert venues to show close up shots of the event. Although JumboTron is a registered trademark owned by the Sony Corporation, the word jumbotron is often used by the public as a genericized trademark. Sony JumboTrons ceased being sold in 2001, when the company decided to exit the business.

JS

Return to posts index

ben traylor
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:00:52 pm

yeah, i looked at wikipedia. i don't think i can tell a client i used wikipedia.

thanks

http://www.bentraylor.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:20:28 pm

Yeah anybody can write on Wikipedia and if you get sued they will definitely laugh you off the stand with that as a trademark violation defense. I'd reshoot or edit around it if you have a concern. No one will ever know the difference except you.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]