FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony cinémon Plug In

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Dale
Sony cinémon Plug In
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:36:19 pm

Greetings All,

I am working in FCP 7.0.3 and I am ironing out a workflow for an upcoming project that is to be shot entirely on Sony XDCAM EX1's.

I anticipate bringing back 40 to 60 hours of content from this event. Since I have never worked with these camera's before here is my theoretical workflow:

- Duplicate SxS cards onto master drive and backup drive
- Use Sony cinémon plugin to create my cut (cut only, no graphics, color correct, etc...)
- Once final cut is finished create Pro Res 422 versions of the clips used and finish cut with graphics, color correction, etc...

This is a documentary style project on a fairly tight deadline, so if I can avoid the space and time constraints of transferring 40+ hours into a pro res format I would like to.

If graphics, color correction, etc.. are not applied, will FCP handle the cinémon plug in without a hiccup?
Also, if the individual clips are renamed inside of the FCP browser only (thereby leaving the original clips with their original names) will it be as simple as relinking the media once I convert the clips from the final cut to Pro Res??

Thanks in advance,
SD

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Sony cinémon Plug In
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:32:39 pm

Hi Stephen,

You should have no issues using the plug-in. The only difference in behavior that you might see is that if you try to media manage the project non-MOV files cannot be truncated to the lengths used in the timeline. This is an FCP limitation on all non-MOV files. Otherwise the timeline behavior and relinking should work as they do with other supported files.

Best,

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Stephen Dale
on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:47:13 pm

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply, I don't quite understand what you mean by "non-MOV files cannot be truncated to the lengths used in the timeline" does this mean that they won't have the correct lengths when re linking?

Thanks
SD

If you don't commit 100%, you're not going to compete.

- James Cameron

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:49:53 pm

When you Media Manage a project in FCP you have the option to trim the master clips down to the lengths used in the timeline. This way you are only copying/moving material that's actually being used. FCP limits what you can do with non-MOV files (MXF, MP4 etc). It won't affect re-linking behavior.

Return to posts index

Stephen Dale
on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:59:30 pm

Oh, I see

Thanx!

If you don't commit 100%, you're not going to compete.

- James Cameron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]