FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony firmware upgrade price increase

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Sony firmware upgrade price increase
on Apr 25, 2011 at 1:18:59 pm

I emailed Sony in Teaneck NJ asking about a firmware upgrade for the EX1. This is the response I got:

"Kindly use the attached form when sending your unit for upgrade. Firmware upgrade is $270 + tax. Should you have any further concerns, please feel free to call or send us an email."

Bob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Sony firmware upgrade price increase
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:21:50 pm

Are they really turning that into a revenue source or does it honestly cost them that much? Seems a bit much when just about any other camera you buy today comes with free user installable firmware updates...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:26:18 pm

Last year, when 1.2 came out for the EX1, I was quoted $135 which seems like the price for one hour labor. Now it seems like they're charging for two hours labor. This increase certainly seems like bad policy to me since I doubt the time it takes to install and QC increased.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:44:19 pm

Is that something you have to do more than once?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:19:54 pm

Well, it's a good idea to upgrade as improvements are made to the software. So, yes is the answer. Having said that, $270 is outrageous!

Bob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:09:55 am

That's what I'm asking- do you have to spend $270 every time there's a new update? Or do they do it just once? If it's just once that seems like something Sony should cover...

Noah

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:02:45 pm

AFAIK, you pay every time. BTW, Macie Video will do it for $165.00.

Bob

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:20:06 am

If you take your camera in for warranty work or for a general tune up it's $140.00 at Sony here in Vancouver and they'll do the firmware upgrade while it's there. No extra charge.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 28, 2011 at 1:50:52 pm

Noah:

The cost is not for downloading and installing the upgrade yourself. It's for shipping your camera to Sony and having their tech's install it.

I paid $180 to have it done, because I didn't have the time and wanted a Techie to do it as well as cover a camera crash if it happened.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite