FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 SDI out issues

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Lehner
EX1 SDI out issues
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:18:09 am

I tried to use the SDI out (for the first time) for a live concert shoot and the camera was not sending an image? I tried going into the main board first, when that didn't work tried going strate into a monitor and got nothing. There would be a flicker every time I would try to change settings so the camera was sending something. . . just not an image. I had the iLink disabled (per the manuel) and tried HD, SD, and about every shooting format. Nothing worked. What am I missing????

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 SDI out issues
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:41:27 am

I have an EX1R but the settings should be similar for an EX1, Go to the VIDEO SET menu and set the 'Output Select' to HD SDI/Component. That should send the signal to both the SDI port and the Component (RGB) port.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:45:31 am

Are your absolutely sure the inputs your tried were SDI and not BNC Composite?
Some people make that mistake.
Do you own anything with an SDI input you can test with?

Is this and EX1 and not and EX1R?
What firmware are you on? Was it updated by Sony?
I ask because I had an issue with SDI when Sony updated my camera to 1.11 many moons ago. I had to have them do it again.

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:55:02 pm

I remember switching the video output on and off a few times and that didn't do it. 100% sure I was using the SDI out the back of the camera, not component out the side. I'm wondering about that firmwear update. I bought the camera used with 100hrs on it and the guy said that he had the "latest" update but I cant find a way to check on the camera? Any ideas how to check that? I also have problems from time to time when using a HDSC card and adaptor. During shooting it will randomly, without warning, stop recording and I get the "media needs to be restored message." And thats with a class 10 Transcend card and normal shooting (720p, 30) not over/undercranking. Seems that might tend to be a firmwear issue as well?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:49:54 pm

The scary thing for me I would have never caught the SDI out issue when Sony updated me to 1.11. It could have been months before I noticed. I checked every single setting and output and discovered SDI out wasn't working. I called Sony and they didn't think it was their firmware update but I told them I was coming in anyway. I'm about 30 minutes from Park Ridge NJ Sony Service. They check and confirmed the issue. The did the firmware upgrade again while I waited. Problem solved and they apologized.

BTW this is why I'm concerned about DIY firmware upgrades. Everything can seem OK but at some point down the road you use a feature you hadn't and discover an issue.

I can't say that's what you're experiencing but if you really know the camera and can swear up and down you've done everything right, then I mention the above story as a rare but possible cause.

What you should do is try ALL the output with their correct settings. And when using SDI PLEASE make sure you're feeding and SDI in and not BNC Composite to a monitor, etc.. It's a common mistake because the connectors are the same. Don't assume the BNC is SDI in. CHECK CAREFULLY.

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:25:38 am

Thanks for the warning. Just checked the SDI out months after my DIY firmware upgrade and it worked as advertised, but your Sony story is scary to say the least!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2011 at 1:55:53 am

As a matter of engineering habit I'd check every single mode and output after a firmware upgrade. That's what I did and I caught the issue. Again it's rare but that's why one practices due diligence.

People don't wear seat-belts because the get in car accidents every few days. They do it because it means you may live when that rare one happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]