COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Colombatto
Fujinon A20x8.6BRM 2/3" 20:1
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:19:03 pm

I'm think getting a Fujinon A20x8.6BRM 2/3" 20:1 zoom for my Sony EX3,
(8.6-172mm) and believe the depth of filed @ 172 will generate a nice
portrait look.
But this a ENG/EFP Lens (Internal Focus), and the camera is HD.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of combination and
what type of look could I possibly expect with this particular lens.
Thanks,
Joe C.

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
Re: Fujinon A20x8.6BRM 2/3" 20:1
on Apr 16, 2011 at 3:36:09 pm

I have used a Canon 20X broadcast 2/3" lens on my EX3 with stellar results. Don't assume that because a lens isn't 'HD' that it won't be crisp on your EX3. My Canon actually is sharper than the stock Fuji lens it came with. Part of the reason for this is where you would most notice any fall off is at the edges of the frame. Using a 2/3" lens on a 1/2" camera means you won't even see the outer edges of that glass anyway. (you're only using the 'sweet spot')
Just because a lens is not branded (read: 'marketed') as 'HD' does not mean it will not perform equal to or in this case even superior to a 'HD' counterpart. At least in this instance.
As far as the depth of field... well, that has more to do with your sensor than the lens in this case. You do get a large bump in focal length, and some decreased depth of field, but probably not as much as you are hoping for. If you want a really shallow depth of field, you're better off buying a 35mm adapter and using a 35mm lens. Keep in mind that by doing this, you are dramatically increasing focal length, (by 5.4X) so you'll have to allow for that in your shooting environment. Only the Nikkor and Canon FD adapters will allow for aperture adjustment, the Canon EOS will not. (you have to set your aperture on a SLR, then put it on the EX, which seems ridiculous to me)
Happy shooting-

Return to posts index

Stephen de Vere
on Apr 16, 2011 at 5:46:46 pm

Derek, this is really great news. Which broadcast lens is this please ?

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Apr 17, 2011 at 5:24:59 pm

Hi, Stephen-
Sure.... it is a Canon J20aX8B4 IRS. This is the only 2/3" lens I have tried on the EX, so I can't speak to other lenses as to the performance, but I was extremely pleased with the results from this lens.
You can see some capture frames here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/145123-2-3-sd-lens-ex3.h...
It was a rather hastily put together test, but you can see for yourself that the Canon holds up very nicely to the Fuji.
Good luck!
cheers
Derek

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Apr 17, 2011 at 5:27:55 pm

Hi, Stephen-
The lens is a Canon J20aX8B4IRS. I included a link to another forum where I had some capture frames posted, but the cow apparently doesn't like other forums mentioned here. (really? I thought this was about sharing information....)
So either that will show up eventually, or you can write me direct and I'll give you the link
cheers
Derek

Return to posts index

Stephen de Vere
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:02:00 pm

Derek,

Thanks - I found those frame grab tests ok but they weren't nearly large enough to assess for HD - only 1008x567 close to SD Pal res.

I'm working in 1920x1080 and sometimes x720 to upres to x1080.

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Apr 18, 2011 at 6:59:52 pm

They were shot in 1920 HD resolution, I just downsized the capture frames for fast download w/in the forum for comparison purposes between the two lenses. Since both files are downsized the same, the comparison between the two lenses still works.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]