FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R tele extender options

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
EX1R tele extender options
on Apr 10, 2011 at 1:59:02 am

I'm looking at the two Century Precision tele extenders for the EX1R. One, is 1.6x; and the other is 2x, and they weigh 1.6 and 3 lbs. respectively.

I understand that rails are available for the 2x, and that they may be a good idea because of the strain the weight puts on the fixed lens.

If anyone has used either of these tele extenders, I'd like to hear his or her experiences and advice.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX1R tele extender options
on Apr 10, 2011 at 10:01:28 am

Hi Bob,
I don't have any of those teles, but the "0.75x Wide angle" which is similar in size and weight to the "1.6x Tele".
No need of rails for this lens, but for anything heavier definitively I wouldn't go without rails.

What you have to think about is which of both teles is better for you.
The 2.x will give you more zoom than the 1.6x, but also will start to make vignette as soon as you need to zoom-back. With the 2.x you start to get vignetting when you zoom-back a 20%. With the 1.6x you have a 50% of your zoom-back without vignette.
The 2.x will make things more complicated and will make you change lenses as soon as you don't need that extreme zoom.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:05:37 pm

Thanks very much. How did you learn about the zoom-out vignetting problem? I haven't seen that anywhere, but it is a major issue, as you point out.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:04:15 am

Hi Bob,
In their website, in the "Lens description", you read;
- For the 1.6x say: Note that the Tele-Converter offers partial zooming, vignetting will start to occur at approximately mid-range and increase through the zoom back producing a port hole effect at the full wide angle position".

- For the 2.0x say: Note that the Tele-Converter offers partial zooming, vignetting will start to occur very quickly at approximately 20% after you start to zoom towards the wide angle direction and increase through the zoom back producing a port hole effect at the full wide angle position.

The 2x looks great but little practical in real life. As soon as you do not need a extreme zoom, you are changing glasses.
If I end up buying one (need it) I'll go for the 1,6x.
BTW, prices in BHPhoto, are much, much lower than in the Schneider website.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]