FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to connect a sony x1 to a MacBook

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfredo Broccolo
How to connect a sony x1 to a MacBook
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:26:50 pm

Hi there,
I am about to help a friend out with making some little videos for her charity. I will do it using a Sony X1 camera (XDCAM) therefore filming on SxS memory card.
I was told that I need either a MacBook pro with the wright slot to accommodate the card, or buy one for my MacBook, which I rather avoid since I am doing all for free.

The questions then are:
Can I connect the X1 directly to the Mac via firewire?
As the answer is 99.9% no, which SxS adaptor do I need? I have a simple MacBook 2GH with USB2 and one Firewire 400.

Sorry but I have so far only worked with MiniDV through i.link. Easy!

Thank you in advance
Alfredo

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: How to connect a sony x1 to a MacBook
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:53:54 pm

I'm not sure what a "x1" is? Do you mean an EX-1? If so, there is a USB port that you can plug in your camera. Then just drag the BPAV folder onto your hard drive (the entire folder). From there you can edit with final cut using the log an transfer plug in (this has to be installed, it's not included with final cut).

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Alfredo Broccolo
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:07:05 pm

Hi Dunn,

Thank you very much for the prompt response. And yes you are right is the EX1!.

So as far as I have understood is at its basic level the same as connecting your Mac to a DV camera via a i.link firewire and then download the content of a tape, with the difference that by using a USB cable from my MacBook to the USB port in the the EX1 I will be able to access the content of the memory stick and drag (the entire BPAV) folder onto my hard drive?

I though I would need at least something like this:

http://www.allmemorycards.co.uk/acatalog/ExpressCard.html#aMXM_2d1001 (the second product down the list)

So if this is the case, why using the 34 express port to transfer the footage? Is it faster to use the express port?

Thank you very much for using your time to answer to my 'very basic' questions?

Cheers
Alfredo

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:29:59 pm

EX1 transfers via USB, not firewire. USB is much slower than putting an SXS card in an Express slot.
You could get Sony's SXS card reader which also uses USB and I feel a bit wiser than attaching the camera to the computer.

If you use MXM, MXR, Hoodman adaptor with good SDHC card (Sandisk Class 10 for example) then you can use the SDHC card in an SDHC reader built in to current MacBooks.

ALWAYS use ClipBrowser with CRC ON to copy BPAV. Do NOT drag and drop. That's an accident waiting to happen.

Return to posts index

Alfredo Broccolo
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:36:13 pm

Thank you very much!

Very clear and very useful!

Have a good week end.

Cheers
Alfredo

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:16:52 pm

When you plug in via usb, it acts like an external flash drive. Make a folder with your project title / shot title, and drag the entire BPAV folder into your project folder. Do not separate the files in the folder.

Final Cut or Premier will edit these files.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Alfredo Broccolo
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:38:36 pm

Thank you Dunn,

I have just joined this forum and I have in no time been helped by two people. Thank you all!

So, no need to buy an expensive sony SxS card reader, or cheaper USB adaptor might it exist?

All I need is connect my Mac and the camera via a USB cable and then as Craig suggests (and you to previously) "ALWAYS use ClipBrowser with CRC ON to copy BPAV", the whole folder. Is it right?

Sorry if I go step by step down to the very basics, but as you guys know lots and add new useful bits of information, I get a bit confused, although all new info will one day make sense.

Thank you and have a sunny week end. Well at least here in London spring has come finally but we need to catch it all before is too late!!

Cheers
Alfredo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]