FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex users input appreciated

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
ex users input appreciated
on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:47:46 am

now that ive gotten some good input from you guys on the hoodman sxs adaptors, my next big move...

im finally selling off my dvcam gear and jumpiong to hd. it down tot he ex1r or ex3. im coming from shooting with a dsr300 so its been shoulder mounted with a good vf for 12 years. anyway i know the ex3 has the great vf but is awkward to shoulder mount without an adaptor.
the ex1 has a great lcd but lousy vf.
i guess id like input from those that were in my situation. i know the r would be easier for run/gun. ive just got to make that switch to shooting with the lcd mainly and adjusting to panning/zooming on the tripod with that different viewpoint vs. my vf i was so used to for so long.
any input on others that had to make this jump or their overall thoughts would be great.
im lefteyed so as good as the hoodman loupe is, wont work for me when on a tripod.
thanks
jim

also,
what are some better tripods that are fluid and lightweight for these cams. ive got a vinten now thats overkill so i want to go lighter and yet still pro.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: ex users input appreciated
on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:14:35 am

Jim, I think we've discussed this previously but I too came from a DSR 300 and really missed (still do) the great V/F on that camera. You won't find focusing with an EX 1 anything like as easy, in fact it's darned difficult! The screen is OK, especially with peaking on, but in any bright light it can be impossible. You'll certainly need a decent hood for any outdoor shooting but in bright sun even that is not good enough.

Hoodman produce a 'loupe' with an eyepiece, rather like the one fitted on the EX 3 screen which is good but only when using a tripod. For hand holding using a brace you can't get the eyepiece near your eye, and for us 'lefties' it's even harder. The EX 3 is really the answer but it cost more and, more importantly, it's heavier. I am investigating other braces which may enable me to get my eye to the Hoodman eyepiece but I'm not there yet. I'm relying on the bare screen, well shaded, luck and the occasional use of auto focus in extremis.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:37:15 pm

You can look through the viewfinder since it's on the back (EX1). I'm left eyed an frequently film sports. I'm on a tripod and it works fine for me.

LCD screen is fine, but you can also add a 7" shoe mounted monitor for more precise focusing.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:55:41 am

No Brent, the EVF is quite useless for proper focus in my opinion. I agree the screen is OK provided the light is not too bright but my point was that using a brace (not tripod) I can't get either eye near enough to use the Hoodman Loupe fixed to the screen.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:04:21 am

michael, how are you holding the r? i usually cradle it with my left arm holding it chest , sometimes, if im using the bpu60 sony bat, its long enought where i can rest it against my shoulder and its not bad, and i can see the lcd easily.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:06:42 pm

Jim, I only have the EX 1,not the 'R'. I have no problems hand holding with a brace. My problem is not being able to use an eyepiece fixed to the screen because the brace holds the camera too far away. I can, of course, use the screen but don't find it good enough for accurate focus in bright light.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:45:36 am

michael
what brace do you have.
im sure i would get the lcd hood for outside shots, should help

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:16:50 am

The EX1R has a better viewfinder that the EX1.

KB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]