FORUMS: list search recent posts

hoodman sxs adaptor w/sandisk

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
hoodman sxs adaptor w/sandisk
on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:19:35 pm

since sxs is out of the question for me with the price increase, im looking to go with the sxs adaptors, although i know its riskier.
have heard that the hoodman adaptor is reliable and the sandisk 32gb extreme class 10 works well with it. anyone used these instead of sxs in the ex1r with good results?
of course hoodman says to use their card which is twice as much.
input appreciated\
jim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: hoodman sxs adaptor w/sandisk
on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:34:58 pm

I haven't used that combination but having used MXR with Sandisk 32GB, I'd say the Hoodman (made by MXM) and Sandisk 32GB class 10 would be a reliable combination and the EX with current firmware will also overcrank as if it were an SXS card as well.

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:05:36 am

I've been using the hoodman sxs adaptor since January with the Transcend 32gig class 10 sdhc cards. So far, so good. I've had excellent results. I'm shooting on the ex1r and ex3.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:15:18 am

thats good to know alan, are you just using this setup? im almost wanting to backup my shots with the nano, but 3K, right now. not so sure.

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:21:17 am

For now, just using that setup alone. I backup everything when I get back to the office to multiple hard drives. A good friend of mine in the business who has the ex3 and has been using the Hoodman/Transcend combination for some time got me interested in it. He said that he has never had any issues. I did several test shoots before going out on paying jobs with it but I haven't been disappointed so far. (knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder, etc.)

Return to posts index

Robert Mosner
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:42:16 pm

I use the hoodman Adapter with Transcend and Hoodman Raw Steel cards. I shoot a fair amount of 720 60p. So far, no issues or problems with either SD card. The Raw Steel cards my be more expensive but they are a heck of a lot cheaper then the SxS cards. The SDHC cards make it much easier to load clips into the computer. Sony's SxS USB reader is just a little to expensive.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 4, 2011 at 4:06:14 pm

Hoodman also have a great warranty on their cards. It used to be a lifetime warranty. You might want to check on that. That is part of the reason they are more expensive.

I've used the adaptor with older transcend SD cards. I haven't had issues since upgrading my firmware on the EX-1.

The Nano Flash is a good choice so you can record to both cards at once, thus having redundancy, which is important in case of a card failure or error ( which I have had in the past ).

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Glenn Student
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:45:34 pm

So far I've only been using the Hoodman Raw SDHC Class 10 cards with the Hoodman SxS Adapter and it has been flawless and I shoot alot and in various modes and frame rates. It has been totally reliable for me so far. I've been thinking about using a less expensive brand of SDHC card but have also heard stories of failures with Sandisk and Transcend. I haven't heard any stories of Hoodman Raw cards failing yet.

Glenn Student
D&D Video Productions
Las Vegas, NV

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:44:28 pm

Hoodman has a good reputation for ironclad cards.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:50:12 pm

We used the Kensington SxS adapters until Hoodman came out with theirs (we could finally close the card slot door!) and have been using nothing but SanDisk Extreme 16gb cards. I will say the boss was at a trade show and bought one 32gb Transcend card because it was so cheap, and we had one problem wherein a clip folder was created with the reference files but no actual mp4 file in it. It happened one time and I forbade him from ever using it again so he put it in his Canon 60D for taking stills. I haven't had a problem with SanDisk but you may want the Hoodman brand if you want piece of mind with the warranty.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]