FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync two cameras

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Sepulveda
Sync two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:48:16 pm

Hi, hope someone can help me. I’m producing a TV show for South America, I am not a very experienced producer in the technical stuff. I bought two Sony PMW-EX1R, which I use to record interviews for the show. I am having a lot of trouble trying to get the same colors and exposure on both cameras. I balance whites with the same target, and set the cameras both with the same settings, but the image is still very different. Is there any way (maybe with a cable) that I can sync the cameras to obtain near the same image? And maybe it possible start recording at the same time so editing is easier?

Thank you and sorry for my ignorance

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sync two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:19:30 pm

You can store a complete camera setup including Picture Profiles for one camera, on an SXS card and then install that on the second camera.

Keep in mind when white balancing if you have a mixed color temperature situation in which cameras are getting different mixes, that can create problems.

Shooting a test card and balancing that in post can also help.

While you can't lock the timecodes to each other on the EX1R, you can set both to time of day so you can get very close. You might have to offset one in post if they're not dead on and they may drift very slightly over long periods. You can also look into Plural Eyes which syncs by audio wave form.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
Re: Sync two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:08:24 pm

Craig is right about PluralEyes, but I synch two cameras all the time in post by finding a clear, clean spike in the audio waveform on the two camera tracks and bring the clips into the timeline in FCP and nudge one clip this way and that way, frame by frame, if I have to, and once you have no echo or as little echo as you're going to get, you have the two tracks (clips) synched. Then delete one of the audio tracks but keep the video. Now all you have to do is cut on the second layer video track. This is a great technique for music videos, as you can shoot the video with ambient sound but record high quality separately.

However this can drive you a little crazy if you have a lot of clips. So sometimes it helps if you just keep the cameras rolling and can do it once or twice.

As for white balance I always use an 18.5% grey card from any photo shop and record a small clip of it before the interview. That way I can white eye-drop off that card with 3-way color corrector in FCP and get a perfect color. But just white balancing off of one of those $7 grey cards is much better than white.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]