FORUMS: list search recent posts

ergonomics/options for ex1r

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
ergonomics/options for ex1r
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:08:29 pm

after trying out the ex1r and looking at the ex3 and ncxam, decided to finally dump dvcam and go with the r.
the main issues i had shooting with it were obviously limited on handheld for long periods shoot alot of weddings/rec.
used monopod, but would like to get input on the various shoulder mount adaptors out there. nothing will mimic a true shoulder mount but what comes close and will give you a comfortble position for using the lcd since the vf is useless.
used hoodman loupe , great if im off tripod but no use on it since im lefteyed and my head hits cam on rt side.
input appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: ergonomics/options for ex1r
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:22:13 pm

It's a bit pricey from Sony but it folds so it's easy to keep attached while camera is on tripod.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674695-REG/Sony_VCT_SP2BP_VCT_SP2BP_C...
I've heard a few like this as an inexpensive solution.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/210200-REG/Davis_Sanford_SS3C_Steady_...

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 30, 2011 at 8:47:14 am

I'm in the same boat as Jim on this - left eyed and having to 'run & gun'. I use the CVP shoulder brace with my EX 1 and it's saved my life with all day active shooting. BUT, I can't get the Hoodman Loupe to my left eye. In any case with this support I can't get the eye piece near enough anyway.

Craig, would either of your suggestions solve this? The screen on its own just is not good enough for accurate focus, especially in any bright light, even with a decent shade fitted.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Mar 30, 2011 at 9:57:34 pm

craig, michael, whats your takes on the sony/mm sxs readers using the sdhc cards.
i was going to get the sandisc xtreme 32gb class 10.
sony of course says, you should use their sxs but theyre up to 750 now for a 32gb,
so do either of you use the adaptors? your input? are they reliable sometimes? as reliable as sxs
thanks
also, michael, have you looked at the westsideav supports for the ex?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:29:27 pm

Jim, Craig will answer your card query. Speaking personally I stick to the Sony S X S cards, not wishing to take the remotest risk of losing media. I don't need many because I can always off load the BPAV files from the cards to a portable drive I take on location with my MacBook laptop for this purpose.

I don't know the camera support you mention, is there a site anywhere to view it?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:58:51 pm

You don't need a loop for this camera. Just use the eye piece already on the camera. I am also left eye.

I use DV Tec support system. http://www.dvtec.tv/index.html

Also use a tripod.... as a monopod so I can open it up as a tripod when needed.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite