FORUMS: list search recent posts

no new cam production in japan by sony.moving to la

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
no new cam production in japan by sony.moving to la
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:30:51 am

found out today that considering the mess in japan. sony is moving their headquarters to la for now.
there is no more tape coming out of japan and whatever cameras are in stock here in US is what there is.
I guess i need to decide on the ex1r or the nxcam before theyre gone. what a mess.
ive got 200 used dvcam tapes was going to throw away, but talked to people out there saying some may have to buy used tapes if theyre still tape based shooting.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
Re: no new cam production in japan by sony.moving to la
on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:36:33 pm

I wonder where they make the SxS cards? Not that we need a supply of them. And I use Quantum LTO tape for backup.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:55:49 pm

Greg...can you explain how you back-up to Quantum LTO? I would like to back-up my 1TB hard drives to tape but don't want to have to purchase a Cache system or something of that type

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Mar 26, 2011 at 1:27:18 am

Bob... Yes, I have over 40 hard drives sitting around with footage that I wanted to archive so I just bought a Quantum TC-L42BX LTO-4 Model B desktop tape drive and a ATTO ExpressPCI UL5D SCSI PCI Express Host Adapter # EPCI-UL5D-0R0 which is all ol' time SCSI. It has been an unhappy ride getting sent the wrong cards by a number of companies, but now I got it straight, and with Roxio Retrospect, and having to be retaught that you have to turn anything SCSI on before you boot up the computer and turn the computer off before you turn off anything SCSI, it is all working well now. The reason I got this is that the archiving lasts up to 50 years, and it is a great and less expensive way to back up footage instead of on hard drives, that I don't always trust. I have had a few hard drives go on me, and that is scary.

So I am mostly using it to store footage after a shoot, and the FCP file after an edited master, while also using the many hard drives to work on. I don't feel the need to go back up constantly, because I know I can call on the footage and a FCP file to reconnect that footage should something go wrong with a drive.

I am not crazy about going back to SCSI, but it's what I have now for a while and it works and I feel much more secure than relying on drives. I shoot Sony XDCam EX.

Greg Ondera

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:39:58 pm

Thanks Greg. I am amazed at how many 1 TB internal hard drives I am going through. I suppose I should have figured out that 16GB per hour of HD footage would add up pretty fast but I was never much at math. So you are doing this with a Mac? I have my vendor trying to find me a LTO back-up system but they keep trying to sell me $10,000 systems. I just want to put a 1TB drive onto a Tape for extra security. I will look into this one further.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Mar 27, 2011 at 11:55:25 pm

Yikes, 10K! I did mine for a total of 2K. And yes it's a Mac Pro. However I will someday want to get rid of this SCSI technology and go to something hot-swapable. You might consider LTO-5, which I think might do a TB. I still like this as a backup system much better than recording onto tape or disc. I know it is tape, but the idea of how long this kind of archiving lasts and how cheap it is appeals greatly to me.

Greg Ondera

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:54:08 pm

Get the EX-1R. I just shot with both the 1R and the NXCAM last weekend and the picture is much better out of the EX-1. Also, the lens is much easier to work with and the manual iris has stops instead of just spinning the ring indefinatley. The EX-1 wins hands down in picture quality, especially in low light.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:13:52 pm

thanks ron,
im coming from shooting dsr300 cams. shoulder mount, great vf, good in lowlight.
i dont want to go w/another shoulder mount, the 320 is nice, but its 12k without sxs.
ive looked hard at the ex1r and ex3. love both, wish the ex3 was is kinda shoulder mount/and handheld, but you really need a shoulder adaptor. so i was leaning to the ex1r. of course handholding it is a pain. i found cradling it with my left hand and using lcd is the easiest or using monopod when shooting receptions.
my big thing is adjusing to shootin ontripod using the lcd instead of what im used to . the vf on the r is useless for the most part.input welcome.
i considered the nxcam since its got a longer smoother zoom but i would think the lowlight is not as good even though i obviously would be using an on cam light with it

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:22:46 pm

I understand your problem. But keep in mind during low light shooting when you are shooting from a distance you can't use a light that is bright enough to help. This is where the -1 or -3 are much superior to the nxcam. Last weekend we did a multicam shoot inside a church with an EX-1 and two nxcams. Looking at the footage later it was very apparent that the nxcams had more grain. There were times we had to use +9 db gain on the -1 and it was still better than the nx's using only +6 db gain. Also, I'm not sure but does the nxcam have peaking for focus assist? I use that feature on almost every shot. I personally own an EX-3 and love the veiwfinder. I am using a DM Accessories shoulder mount, and while a little heavy with a tripod mount attached as well it really steadies the camera when shooting handheld. Good luck, I vote for the EX-1.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:28:26 pm

Thanks for the input Ron. I've been kicking myself for purchasing the ex1 & ex3 a couple of months ago and seeing the nxcam just come out. I don't feel as down about the purchase now. I too, came from the DSR-300s and so far love everything about the ex1/3 except for the zoom. That's one place I miss the DSR-300. I just can't get the slow crawls with the new cameras. Purchased some varizoom controllers and that has helped some. Anyway, I appreciate your input on the nxcam vs the ex1/3.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:08:16 pm

the other thing is i shoot left eyed so i cant even use the hoodman loupe. ive tried it on an r and it was great, but thats only when i shot handheld, if i went to a tripod, i would hit the side of the cam with my left side. ill just have to get used to looking at an lcd instead of the vf all the time.
i still cant believe that, for a 6300.00 camera, the vf isnt at least usable.
are you guys using the reliable sxs or the sdhc cards?
thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:14:02 am

[jim stamos] "found out today that considering the mess in japan. sony is moving their headquarters to la for now."

Sounds kinda dubious. Sony has thousands of employees in Japan and many facilities all over the country. They're not just going to 'move their HQ to L.A. for now.' Or did you have a news source on that one?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

James Mulryan
Get a SAS LTO5
on Apr 9, 2011 at 4:04:25 am

If you have a four port external SAS card, you can run two ports to your raid, and another one to your LTO5, without having to have a separate SCSI card. Extra slots are hard to come by in a Mac. LTO 5 is much faster and larger than what I am using which is an LTO3 with SCSI. Retrospect is pretty bullet proof from my experience.

James Mulryan
Sunset Park Media, LLC
Santa Monica, CA
info@jamesmulryan.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]