FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blocky playback

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Bea
Blocky playback
on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:58:18 am

Hey all

I am having a few problems with Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 for mac when working with HD footage that has been shot on EX1 cameras and converted using XDCam transfer. Basically, when I place footage onto the timeline (click yes to match sequence settings to the clip) and then place another clip alongside I am experiencing blockiness on the playback just as the two clips cut (there is no transition between the 2 clips). It also appears on the render but doesn't always appear in the same place when I come back to the edit. Its as if the cache has been cleared (like in after effects).

Any idea what it is and how I can get around it?

Cheers all

Olly

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Blocky playback
on Mar 15, 2011 at 2:30:30 pm

Sorry not enough info. Including complete info will get you fastest answer.
What computer specs?
Exactly what hD XDCAM EX format and does it match the sequence settings?
What did the clips look like in ClipBrowser (not XDCAM Transfer)?

Return to posts index

Olly Bea
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:06:37 pm

Hi mate

Thanks for trying to help me out, here is the relevant info

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8Gb 1066 MHz DDR3 memory
XDCAM EX 1080p25 (35Mb/s VBR) 1920 x 1080 (1888 x 1062) Millions 16bit-Integer (Big Endian), Mono 48kHz

Also, the files don't open up in Clip Browser but I am new to the software, I normally use XD transfer so I may be doing something wrong.

Is there any other info you need from me?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:29:42 pm

Computer specs are fine.
Please check your sequence settings to see if they match the source. Are you getting a render bar?
ClipBrowser is used to copy the BPAV before using XDCAM Transfer to wrap to mov.
If you are not copying with ClipBrowser with CRC On first (so you can then backup the BPAV which is your camera master), you can have a bad copy. If you have no master backup then you may be left with nothing but a bad copy.
ALWAYS use ClipBrowser with CRC ON to make copies first. Always backup your BPAV camera masters.

As a last resort, check the EX .mov files in Quicktime and jog through frame by frame.
Of course make sure you have plenty of hard drive space on the media drive you're using for the EX files.

Return to posts index

Olly Bea
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:57:20 pm

I have dropped the footage onto a new sequence and clicked yes 'change sequence settings to match clip settings' so they should match up exactly... or have you had occasions when this function doesn't work?

I haven't used clip browser to copy files before I've just gone straight into XDCAM transfer to convert the files. Should I be adjusting my workflow?

I've checked through the files and they are playing fine through QT, though I only have 2Gb spare on the drive I am using, may that be the issue? Finally, the blockiness doesn't necessarily happen in the same place and if I render sequence it sometimes disappears or appears in a new place. Really odd.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:14:18 pm

Dropping clips on sequence and having FCP create the setting is reliable.

Yes you should adjust your workflow. The BPAV are your camera masters and should be copied and confirmed. If you make a bad copy and have no master to go back to you, there's not much you can do at that point. It's a fundamental rule of professional video to preserve camera masters.

It sounds like you do not have enough space on the hard drive. Some would say a drive should always have 20% free space. Drive performance declines as they fill up. Please get a bigger hard drive and always use a separate media drive.

Return to posts index

Olly Bea
on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:32:01 pm

Thanks very much for your time I'll give it a whirl and post back if the problem continues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]