FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with Audio Channles as Data on XDCam 4:2:2 disk

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vance Piccin
Issues with Audio Channles as Data on XDCam 4:2:2 disk
on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:07:19 pm

This forum seems the closest here on the Cow to one that might be able to help me with the following issue. If I am in the wrong place please advise.

I have been working for a client that used a new workflow withing the XDCam family, and we have discoverd an anomoly we do not understand. Our previous work with the format has been to use PDW-F70's and F75's with either DVCam or 1080i material.

For a show earler this week we were asked to provide video roll in's on XDCam Disks as 720p video. Our edit systems have PDW-U1 decks which are capable of working in 4:2:2 at 720p. We created several packages and used the Sony plugin to export them from Final Cut to the U1's.

In the field the disks were played back in PDW F1600's. The video and audio were transferred to a playout server via an SDI connection and all worked as expected. The problem came when someone wanted to screen the clips on the machine and monitor the audio from the analog channels. The first clip worked as expected. On the five subsuquent clips, however, "Data" indicators lit over the audio meters on the machine and the audio output muted.

So my question is what could we have done that would cause the 1600 to see the audio as data not formated as audio? I assume that this provision is to handle Dolby E encoding, or other forms of non audio data, but that is now what we had. As I said, the SDI outputs to the server were fine.

Thanks for any hints.

-Vance

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Issues with Audio Channles as Data on XDCam 4:2:2 disk
on Mar 14, 2011 at 2:21:49 pm

Hi Vance,

Check User Settings-->Audio Data Mode on your PDW-U1 using the bundled U-1 Utility app. The channels in question were probably set for Data (Dolby E or AC-3, as you guessed..). See below..

Best,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Vance Piccin
Re: Issues with Audio Channles as Data on XDCam 4:2:2 disk
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:41:02 pm

Thank you Ian. That was exactly it.

-Vance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>