FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it better to up the gain or colour grade after when filming in a dark venue?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Is it better to up the gain or colour grade after when filming in a dark venue?
on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:16:18 am

And what is the maximum gain you would use to maintain a good DVD quality using the EX1?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Is it better to up the gain or colour grade after when filming in a dark venue?
on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:22:39 am

Probably plus 9 on the gain would be my upper limit with the EX1. If you don't have too much picture noise in the shot you can push the CC a bit more in post. There are also a few really good noise reducer plugins these days.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Is it better to up the gain or colour grade after when filming in a dark venue?
on Mar 11, 2011 at 10:10:57 am

One of which is the Innobits software Purifier, it's also in with their brilliant DVD encoder BitVice. I now use both and my DVD's would easily handle plus 9 gain, probably higher if required.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:03:47 pm

First, you cannot get good color grading if you have bad lighting and dark images.

I don't like to go above 6db, but you have to adjust for your venue. I recently got caught in a situation of an outdoor event just when it was sunset on the beach. They had timers on their outdoor lighting, but forgot to change them with the shorter days. Right after the event started, total darkness. Luckily one of my guys always has an on camera light and saved the day. I had to set up another light on camera.

Saturday, I saw the time and another outdoor location. The first thing I did was to set up my lighting. (off camera) no complaints about the lighting and when they see the final images, they'll be much happier.

You always have to explain to whoever is in charge and other people involved that mood lighting doesn't work on video. Light the crap out of it and set the mood in post.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite