FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious error with SxS - advice needed before shoot tomorrow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Serious error with SxS - advice needed before shoot tomorrow
on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:36:04 pm

Hi,

I have hired a EX1R to go with my EX1 for a shoot tomorrow. They supplied 3x 32GB SxS cards. They worked fine in the EX1R although when I transferred the card to my EX1, it wanted to format the card. So I clicked excute. It got to 79% an stayed there for 20 mins or so. I finally decided to eject the card where it gave me an error saying something along the lines of 'unrecognised file system'.

I put the SxS card in my macbook pro and the following error came up:

This error came up before a long time ago when I used my 8GB SxS card that came with my EX1 - working fine, then one day this error. I switched to a Kensington adapter and transcend card and have not had a problem since. That is until now.

I decided to try the transcend card with adapter in the EX1R and got the message 'unrecognised file system', so I went into the menu and clicked to format the card. All works fine and dandy, but I would like to get to the bottom of this mystery as it would of been useful to use there cards!

PS - I note on the EX1R that the format comes up as 1280 / 25p. This is the same setting as 720 / 25p on the EX1 right? 1280 x 720 / 25p? Seems odd to change the way it shows on the menu...

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Serious error with SxS - advice needed before shoot tomorrow
on Mar 11, 2011 at 12:44:45 am

If I understand the issue(s) correctly... you may not have high enough firmware on the EX1 to use 32 GB cards. 32 Gb SxS Pro was not supported until 1.11 but were supported on the EX1R at the time of release.

Likewise with SD cards-- it was not until 1.11 that USB storage (SD cards, PHU hard drives) was officially supported.

The kernel panic on your Mac may be an unrelated issue. If you have Snow Leopard (10.6) and the older SxS driver this is normal. Upgrade the driver to 1.04 or higher (current = 1.05).

You are correct re 1280/25p and 720/25p; they are the same...

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:11:53 am

Thank you.

Probably a but late now to upgrade, but how do I upgrade the firmware on my EX1?

Kind regards,

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Mar 11, 2011 at 1:33:27 pm

With the EX1 it depends on what firmware version you have whether you can upgrade them yourself or not, I believe. I would assume that since you have never upgraded them (or you would know) that they have to be done at an authorized service center. The EX1r's can be upgraded by the user but you need to be very careful.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 11, 2011 at 3:13:04 pm

Press Menu while holding the CANCEL button and the Select/Set wheel. This will open the standard menu but with some additional categories. One if them will be "Information" or "IF." The current software version is listed under IF-->Version. (To confuse matters a bit further, 1.20 firmware added the ability to check the version in the Others menu without having to go to the hidden maintenance layer, but I don't think your version is that recent. Once it's updated you can check it here.)

If the EX-1 is at 1.05 or higher, it can be user-updated. It is not difficult or inordinately risky if you can follow instructions and supply good power to the camera. If you'd rather not do the upgrade yourself you can send it in and have it upgraded. Sony Service will charge you for 1-2 hrs labor to do the upgrade and a functional checkout.

Firmware and instructions are here: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

If you are below 1.05 the camera has to be sent in and upgraded by a Sony technician. After this is done you'll be able to install subsequent firmware upgrades yourself.

Cheers and good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]