FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export from FCP 6.06 to PDW-U1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Murphy
Export from FCP 6.06 to PDW-U1
on Mar 10, 2011 at 1:50:19 am

Hi,

I am trying to export a commercial I have just shot onto a PDW-U1. I live in Brazil and the largest station here (Globo) is now only accepting work on XDCAM Disks.

Today I exported the commercial from FCP6.06 (Intel Mac) via XDCAM transfer v2.12.0 into the general folder on the XDCAM disc. I used the XDCAM EX 1080p 30BR option (my original timeline is a 1920 x 1080 XDCAM 35MBS, originating from an EX1). I also exported an SD version using the DV NTSC 48kHz into the same general folder.

I went to the TV station and they tried the disk into 2 different machines - a Sony PDW 1500 and an HD 1500 and neither machine could see anything on the disk. I think this is because the clips should have been put into the 'clips' folder, which I have now figured out how to do by exporting them to the desktop and dragging them manually to the 'clip' folder on the XDCAM disk.

I need to know which setting I should use in XDCAM Transfer so that their machines will be able to read my files as they seem unable to give me any technical requirements and am I right by putting the files into the 'clips' folder.

Also they told me that I can not put SD and HD files on the same Disk - do I need to format them differently depending on whether I intend to use SD or HD?

Please Help!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Export from FCP 6.06 to PDW-U1
on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:50:17 pm

Hi Jonathan,

The GENERAL and USER DATA folders are for generic types of data (documents, prioject files etc), not video clips. As you've discovered, video files exported to these locations do not show up as clips. You should export to the CLIP folder and use one of the XDCAM Optical sequence presets. The EX presets will not work. You can either put your EX material into an XDCAM formatted sequence or you can export and then choose the appropriate template from the "...Using Settings" drop down in the export window.

You can mix HD and SD but 'Enable Mixed Recording' needs to be checked in the User Settings of the U-1 Utility app.

Best,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Jonathan Murphy
on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:05:14 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps the problem with the decks is that they will not read the files if there are both SD and HD in the clip folder, they also told me that it was important that I specify which type of clip (SD or HD) I would be putting on the disk when formatting it. However, there does not seem to be an option for this in the U1 utility program.

Today they formatted a disk in one of their machines and I will return tomorrow to see if the machines can read an SD clip I have saved to this disk. The structure of their format looks exactly the same as a disk I formatted on the U1. So I will return to the Station tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again,

Jonathan.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:53:30 pm

You can mix SD and HD as long as Mixed Recording is enabled in the U-1 controller app. If you don't see this option in the app you have an older version of it. (See screenshot below from the Settings pane...the option is actually "Prohibit Mixed recording" = On/Off)

When you format a disc it is codec-agnostic, i.e. it doesn't get formatted for a particular video format or frame rate. The first clip you put on a disc is what determines the format and limitations. The general rule is that if mixed recording is enabled you can mix SD and HD (including HD 422, HD 420) as long as the clips are in the same frame frequency group-- 30p/60i/60p or 25p/50i. 24p is the only format/frame rate you can't mix with anything else.

Note that one thing you can't do is write a file with an XDCAM EX codec of any flavor or frame rate to /CLIP. If you have EX material it needs to be:

A) transcoded to an XD Optical Codec (usually HD 422 50 Mb as these are natively 1920 x 1080, 4:2:2 and have higher bit rates than the 4:2:0 codecs).

or

B) Stored as data in the User Data folder (think of this folder as a generic data partition; you can store anything in here that fits within the remaining capacity of the disc but the files are saved as raw data and can't be played when the disc is loaded into an XDCAM deck or camcorder

Good luck..

Ian

Return to posts index

Marcel Kikuchi
on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:59:17 am

Olá Jonathan,
tenho uma produtora de video e estamos começando a trabalhar com o formato XDCAM adotado pela Globo. Temos um gravador PDW U1, e estamos meio cru em relação a exportar para o disco, e qual formato usar. Se for possivel, me passe seu email para que possamos conversar e obter informações de como proceder.
Meu email é zelig@zeligvideo.com.br

Abs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]