FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:2:2 advantage in post?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergey Kabanchenko
4:2:2 advantage in post?
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:23:38 am

Hey gents, I have a (hopefully) straightforward question.

What is the main advantage of 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0?

I'm looking to get an ex1r, and deciding where to put nanoflash on the list of the future priorities. The camera will be used all around, from event, corporate video, to short films and so on.

I (think) i understand that in raw, 4:2:2 has little advantage over 4:2:0, but makes difference in post. So, how dramatic is that difference?

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: 4:2:2 advantage in post?
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:57:18 pm

It is significant when it comes to color correction. You have less color information to work with, so you have less latitude in manipulating your image. Things can turn pretty blotchy pretty quickly if pushed too far and the results are less predictable. Encoding artifacts that aren't visible in the raw can become quite obvious. That sort of thing.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:32:48 am

If you shoot a with your camera set up right so you have a good picture to start with your footage will hold up just fine in color correction using 4:2:0. I have been doing it for two years with a Sony EX-3 and for normal shooting there is no problem. You can push the picture quite far with ease. It does have a little more problem pulling a key than 4:2:2 but otherwise you will not have a problem. This is from my experienc not just theroy. There are also people who bash the Long GOP cameras as well but in my opinion they have never tried them. They work and edit just fine. Good luck.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:41:20 pm

I'm gonna agree with Ron here. Presuming that you operate the camera correctly to bring back the best footage you can, so you don't have to push it so far, you'll be fine.

I came to XDCAM EX from shooting DV...I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, especially when I did my first chroma key gig.

Cf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:48:43 pm

So, think if is that good at 420, imagine at 422..
Better.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]