FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 and EX1R for shoot - advice needed re sync

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
EX1 and EX1R for shoot - advice needed re sync
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:40:47 pm

Hi,

I will be using an EX1 (my own) and a hired EX1R (which I have never used but assume its pretty much the same?) for a live shoot next Friday.

Now, I don't use picture profiles very often and need to brush up a bit on how to set them up, but I assume this is the best way to ensure the pictures from both camera is identical (as well as other factors such as aperture)?

The other aspect to consider is sound. The person I am filming will be jumping around loud and then very quiet as he is a story teller. I was going to link up two mics - both SENNHEISER EVOLUTION EW112-P G2s. The test revealed that the two receivers couldn't be too close as interference is heard, but as long as they are kept fairly far apart all is good. I will have the sensit high on one and low on the other.

Does this all sound sensible - any advice welcome.

If I am honest, I am using two camera's not just because I want to vary the event, but because I am dreading trying to keep a tight shot on him without it jerking. At least if I use a wide shot, then I an cut between them!

Compressing to web, I can use 200% in FCP zoom which gives me a lot of room, but for DVD I would imagine I cannot get away with more then 150%?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: EX1 and EX1R for shoot - advice needed re sync
on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:26:55 pm

I would just use one G2 mic and leave the gain control on auto. That should cover the loud and quiet parts just fine. It has worked for me. Then when you edit do a multi camera edit to cut the cameras together using just the audio from the camera that has the G2 plugged into it.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:23:13 pm

OK. Thanks. I'm sure I read somewhere not to put the control on auto...although if it works for you!

Re matching picture, I guess picture profiles should do it?

I get nervous filming live events! :)

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:02:34 pm

You will not have time to monitor the audio via manual controls. You can be making an adjustment with focus or exposure and all of a sudden you have a loud or soft audio that you don't have time to adjust for. If you have another person doing audio I would do manual but as a one man band you don't have the time. Also if you don't have time to make a picture profile just set both cameras to their default setting and they will match.

To set your mind at ease just go over every detail that you can think of ahead of time. Good planning will save you all sorts of problems. Make sure both cameras are set to the same frame rate, gain level and white balance. This alone will same you all sorts of problems later in editing. When on set and shooting try to follow your instincts. You have the knowledge so have confidence in your ability. Good luck!

Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:56:18 pm

One more thing. ALWAYS monitor your audio with earbuds or headphones. This is critical when using a wireless mic in case it goes bad for any reason.

Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:58:12 am

Thanks.

I've hired a hand to help who will be over the 2nd static camera. I was thinking for a fail safe link him up with two G2s, just incase one fails or starts popping, which is what happened before and almost ruined a live recording. Actually thinking about it, I think I saved the day by switching to auto. But don't want to risk interference with two - could this ha

One last thing

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:59:23 am

Thanks.

I've hired a hand to help who will be over the 2nd static camera. I was thinking for a fail safe link him up with two G2s, just incase one fails or starts popping, which is what happened before and almost ruined a live recording. Actually thinking about it, I think I saved the day by switching to auto. But don't want to risk interference with two - could this happen?

One last thing. Anything I need to know about the EX1R. Is it much different from the EX1?

Kind regards,

One last thing

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 3, 2011 at 9:01:24 pm

Your subject line was about "Re-Sync," but you didn't ask that question. It's usually straight forward for synching the shots. Either an audio clue or even a camera flash works fine.

The look of both cameras will be the same if you set them up properly. The EX-1r is basically the same camera as the EX-1 with some upgrades.

If you can set the camera profiles ahead of time, then all you'll need to do on site is the white balance and audio.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite