FORUMS: list search recent posts

simple question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Ouwinga
simple question
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:46:20 pm

I'm doing a shoot this weekend with 4 EX1's and I'm just wondering about file sizes. It's been a while since I've worked with XDcam EX and I'm debating whether to shoot in 720p 24 or 1080p 24. Can someone fill me in on average file sizes for these 2 formats? For some reason I haven't been able to find a clear answer. Thanks a bunch

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: simple question
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:52:02 pm

Same file size. The codec is 35mbps VBR regardless of frame size or frame rate (assuming no overcranking).

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:58:11 pm

Ok, thanks Craig. So if my math is correct, shooting in either 720 or 1080 will give me around 15 or 16 Gigs per hour per camera?

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:02:08 pm

Something like that. Just drop in two 32GB cards and you'll be a few minutes under 4 hours for record time.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:50:10 am

I get 113 minutes per 32GB SDHC card.

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:00:50 pm

...and also, that's on a raw dump straight from the SxS card before any XDcam conversion, right?

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:02:57 pm

What XDCAM conversion?

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:05:55 pm

If I remember correctly, I had to run the raw files through Sony's "XDcam Transfer" program to format them for FCP... Doesn't that process change the file sizes a bit?

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:10:34 pm

BPAV files is what I'm referring to... I won't have time to run the XDcam Transfer on set so I was curious if the BPAV sizes are the same, bigger, smaller... I'll be shooting about 2.5 hours of footage on 4 cameras so I'm trying to budget space

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:50:41 pm

"I'll be shooting about 2.5 hours of footage on 4 cameras so I'm trying to budget space"

One thing you've probably read on this forum is to keep your BPAV folders intact as your camera masters. It's very important that you archive these files as you would a master tape.

Rewrapping to MOV for Final Cut Pro only gives you files that work in FCP. If you have to hand footage off to a different editing system, and all you have is the MOVs you wrapped for Quicktime and not your original BPAV folders, you are in the proverbial "hurtlocker."

Cf

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:54:47 pm

"One thing you've probably read on this forum is to keep your BPAV folders intact as your camera masters. It's very important that you archive these files as you would a master tape."

So right... I learned that the hard way!

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:12:22 pm

That has no impact on file size. It's just a container rewrap (along with the metadata).

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:14:14 pm

Ok, great... That's a big help, thanks again Craig

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:23:13 pm

Shooting XDCAM EX 1080 interlaced or progressive is 16.8 Gbytes per hour.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Ouwinga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:31:38 pm

Ok, thanks. It seems strange to me that shooting at a lower res or framerate doesn't change the file size. If the bitrate is the same for 720 as it is for 1080, shouldn't that mean a higher quality image in 720 since there's more data per pixel? If not, does anyone know why that is? (I'm just curious about this)

Black Friar Productions
Denver, Colorado

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:36:34 pm

Shooting EDCAM EX codec 270p 30 plus 48k 16bit audio 2 channels adds up tp 7.7Gbytes of space per hour. Keep in mind that the EXCAM EX codec only needs 20% more space than Mini DV or HDV.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:11:39 pm

You will use the log and transfer plugin for final cut. If you haven't done this upgrade, it is available for free. You won't have to use the Sony transfer software.

If you transfer your card onto a hard drive, then do the log and transfer to another drive (scratch drive) you will have files on both drives taking up space.

Before, you had to convert them to ProRes and it was about 1 Gig per minute. With the new Final Cut you can use a light version of ProRes which will save you space.

Try to keep your scratch disc clear except for your project, if you have a 1-2 TB drive, and you should be fine.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite