FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcend 32 class10 errors

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
Transcend 32 class10 errors
on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:39:32 pm

Hi guys,

I have bought some 32gb Transcend class 10 cards after reading about them working on this forum, but cannot record more than 27:34:02 (once) or 13:42:18 (three times - weird hey?) without getting an error and having to restore.

My cards are called Transcend ULTIMATE SDHC Class 10. They are not called ultra II or anything but look almost identical to my 8gb Transcend class 6 which work perfectly every time.

Any ideas why?
I am shooting 720p 25, so there should be no problem really.

Thanks,
Mark.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Transcend 32 class10 errors
on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:43:42 pm

Did you buy them from reputable dealer? There are been known counterfeits. Personally I would not trust Transcend as they have a long history of problems for many people. I suspect they are manufactured at a variety of plants and lowest prices, hence no spec consistency.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:22:53 pm

Hi Craig,

I bought them on Amazon via one of those dealers they have on their site, I guess there is no way of knowing if they are fake or not, but all I know is they cannot be cranked (I did not try 37-38fps but tried 40 which failed) more than the class 6 ones which worked up to 30fps.

I have 3 of them, have not opened the other two packets, but I assume they will be identical since they look identical, and the problem isnt that they do not work at all, they do, but only for 13+ minutes (and 27 once)

VERY odd that I had 3 recordings of EXACTLY the same duration, to the frame! That seems extremely unlikely to be a pure coincidence.

Besides, I had purposefully bought the Transcend because from what I have read here it seems to be the most reliable... is that not so?

Thanks...
Mark.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:32:27 pm

[Mark Palmos] "VERY odd that I had 3 recordings of EXACTLY the same duration, to the frame! That seems extremely unlikely to be a pure coincidence."

Because all the cards are the exact same manufactured ability and the buffer is overrunning at the exact same point.

[Mark Palmos] "Besides, I had purposefully bought the Transcend because from what I have read here it seems to be the most reliable... is that not so?"
Absolutely not. They are one of the cheapest certainly they've never been the most reliable.

[Mark Palmos] "I bought them on Amazon via one of those dealers they have on their site, I guess there is no way of knowing if they are fake or not,"

Which is why a working professionally shouldn't buy from Amazon unless maybe an Amazon shop of a reputable dealer. I don't see the point of gambling. SDHC is cheap enough compared to SxS so one might pay for the best cards such as Sandisk.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:42:03 pm

Craig,
I bought Transcend because they work, and my Sandisks do not!

I have 10 8gb Sandisks which are completely useless, can never record for longer than a few minutes.

If the disks are authentic it does not matter who you buy them from, but from what I have read here, the 32gb Class 10 Transcends work perfectly.

What other 32gb sticks definitely work? Anyone?

tx
Mark

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:58:09 pm

[Mark Palmos] "I have 10 8gb Sandisks which are completely useless,"

Of what grade? If you bought those on Amazon as well your repeating the same mistake.

[Mark Palmos] "If the disks are authentic it does not matter who you buy them from,"

But you have no idea on Amazon. You just don't

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:10:12 pm

Hmmm
actually my crappy Sandisks are only class 2... so not surprising they do not work properly.

I have just bought a Fuji 32gb, about 2/5ths the price of a sandisk extreme 32gb, I will report back next week when I get it. (from Amazon ;)

Tx for the input Craig.

Mark.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:11:28 am

Also, remember that SDHC cards record only 13 minutes in a file before creating a new one so that is normal. These files can be played back to back with no problem but the file structure is about 13 minutes max.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:05:16 am

Hi Ron, I did not know that, which would explain why the card stops at 13 or 27 mins, probably succeeded in continuing once but the rest of the time failed and returned an error.

So I guess xdcam transfer utility displays files much longer than 13 mins by joining them and showing you one long file instead of two bits?

tx
Mark.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:34:39 pm

As I recall XDCAM Transfer shows the master clip with a check box in the lower right portion of the screen and then it breaks the clip out into 13 min subclips that you can check as well. It has been awhile since I have used a SDHC card so I am going from memory here. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this. If you check the master clip box it will load the whole clip regardless of how long it is. SDHC cards take about 3 times as long to download as SxS cards though.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:06:57 pm

What firmware version is your camera? If it's an EX-1 an has not been updated, it will have problems.

I've also had my problems with Transcend, but that was before I upgraded my firmware.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:08:24 pm

On the Transcend website, you can verify whether the card is legit by entering-in the serial number.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:50:53 pm

Hi Chris,
Thanks, I have sent them back... now i guess I will buy whatever works, regardless of cost (excluding any sony sxs memory, of course!)

Mark.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]