FORUMS: list search recent posts

any possibility to recover footage from a formatted sxs card?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wiebe
any possibility to recover footage from a formatted sxs card?
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:55:24 am

So I'm in this 6 camera shoot and my job is to back up the sxs cards. Well amidst the chaos, one camera man formatted a card that hadn't been backed up. He hasn't recorded anything new yet. But I'm going crazy trying to find a way to recover the 30gbs worth of footage that was on it.

Anybody know of any program that(for mac) that can recover the data from a formatted SxS card? Please please....my job potentially depends on it.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: any possibility to recover footage from a formatted sxs card?
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:04:50 am

http://www.aeroquartet.com/

Check out the link above. They have experience with the SxS format and I think there may be a free trial period for their retrieval software. If not you can send your card to them and they'll try to get the footage off. They are not cheap. The program you're looking for is called Treasured.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:29:28 am

Aerocuarter will help you to fix the MP4 corrupted files, but first you need to get the MP$ from the card.
Download the free trial of DataRescue or FileSalvage to si if you can get them from the card.
If they haven't been overwrite, is possible to do it.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:44:05 pm

Sony Media Services may be able to recover the files if you have not written anything to the card since reformatting it..877 440 3453

Return to posts index

Matt Wiebe
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:09:10 pm

hey guys, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck. I tried areoquarter and got their treasure free trial program and it didn't find anything. I tried data rescue, did the quickscan and deepscan and deleted files scan, nothing. I called the number that was listed talked to a guy and he said that once the card is formatted in the camera, there is nothing you can do.

It was on a live shoot with 6 camera angles, and I'd say this camera was one of the less crucial angles, so it can be edited without it...but still...Sucks to be me...

Any other ideas?

I gotta think, formatting the card takes like 1 second, something that quick, it's gotta leave some kind of trace to get that stuff back. It just has to dammit.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:41:16 pm

[Matt Wiebe] " I tried areoquarter and got their treasure free trial program and it didn't find anything"
Traesured have to be run on the MP4. There is nothing Treasured can do if doesn't see the files.
Is an application to fix corrupted files; nothing to do with failed media.

[Matt Wiebe] "I called the number that was listed talked to a guy and he said that once the card is formatted in the camera, there is nothing you can do."
No. Is difficult, but I've got it done.
Keep trying; FileSalvage or "RescueProDeLuxe".
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Wiebe
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:01:41 pm

ok I will keep pressing on. Thanks man. I'll keep you posted on if those programs work

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:39:06 pm

I feel your pain. I've had corruption issues that didn't recover. I, like you, had multiple cameras, so I could cover it up in editing.

Try to have safeguards in place with a more reliable source to check the backups before deleting footage on cards. I know this doesn't make you feel better, but hopefully you can prevent this in the future.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:01:58 pm

[Matt Wiebe] "ok I will keep pressing on. Thanks man. I'll keep you posted on if those programs work"
Hi Matt,
Is just to encourage you.
The SxS cards have something that made more complicated to recover the files than any other media I've tried (SDHC cards, HDs,..). Most recovering applications works by identifying standard files like JPEG, QT (.mov), AVI, etc.
The problem is that they may not recognize the MP4 as QT because probably they don't look as QT files at all.
But I did it a couple of times. One I could recover the MP4 and sent to Treasured/Aeroquartet; the second time the cards (2) were already overwrote.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:08:46 pm

Just for the record, this is inaccurate. As we now know, the camera does a secure overwrite of the data when you format (as opposed to a 'quick' format where only the allocation table is deleted...this is how XDCAM optical discs work). It does this for performance reasons, so it can write data faster to the optimal memory locations on the card. It is NOT POSSIBLE to recover files from a card formatted in the camera.

If the card is accidentally formatted in a computer, it may still be recoverable. If this happens, call the # in the earlier post and speak to our Media team. They are awesome and can generally turn cards around very quickly.

Return to posts index

Paul Fagan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:05:10 pm

Ian -

My camera operator mixed up his cards and formatted his SxS card by mistake. In his attempts to recover the files he has seen 61 files on the card, and has seen some footage. The files are corrupt, and we are considering paying a data recovery service.

I suggested that he contact Sony Media Services 877 440 3453.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:33:29 pm

did he format in the camera or on a computer? it is not possible to recover from an in-camera format as the camera does a secure overwrite. if you formatted on a PC we can probably recover the files. contact the media group and they will take care of you. ask for Francisco, he is their lead guy and saves lives on a regular basis..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]