FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick and Easy file conversion?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Tyler
Quick and Easy file conversion?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:20:52 pm

Outside of proper editing software, is anyone aware of a quick and easy way to transfer my EX3s MP4 files to HD res quicktimes?

I'm looking to trim down the files for FTP or immediate transfer. I know it can be done easily enough through FCP, I'm looking for a more basic conversion. I don't trust all of my clients to have all of the proper codecs to view the MP4 files native.

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Quick and Easy file conversion?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:30:22 pm

[Joe Tyler] "HD res quicktimes"

Quicktime is a wrapper, not a codec. Sony's XDCAM Transfer deliver XDCAM EX .mov without any encoding, just re-wrapping.

[Joe Tyler] "I'm looking to trim down the files for FTP or immediate transfer."

But that doesn't describe your target. For editing elsewhere. Computer screening. Web screening.

[Joe Tyler] "I don't trust all of my clients to have all of the proper codecs to view the MP4 files native."

Then they won't be able to see the EX XDCAM .mov either. If you're just creating files for screening encode to H.264 .mp4 files. Quicktime 7 and Window Media Player 12 will be able to play them.

You can wrap to mov in XDCAM Transfer and then use any compression app to make H.264 .mp4 such as Quicktime Pro (Compressor only does .mov), MPEGStreamclip, or, for professional use, Telestream Episode or even Sorenson Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Joe Tyler
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:55:06 pm

Craig, Thanks for the Rapid response.
Target - as always a moving target, I'm looking for options.
Most of the time I fedex hard drives to my clients, Occasionally they need faster turn around. Be it for computer screening, web screening or even immediate editing.

H264 has worked well in the past, I'm just looking for software with some output flexibility. Variable output resolutions, and compressions schemes. Quicktime was an example.

Joe

http://www.killianthered.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:12:33 pm

Telestream Episode Pro. You can target multiple codecs from broadcast to screening to window time code dubs. With the Calibrated Software EX codec you can even use the source EX .mp4 and skip the wrap to mov but the files won't be joined.

Fast turnaround is always a challenge. H.264 screening is easy with FTP, iDisk, even Vimeo which also allows download by the viewer. Files to be used in the post production chain are much harder given the file size limits and data rates needed for reasonably fast online delivery.

Hard drive is still best for lots of big files. In some cases you can get away with putting something on a 32GB or new 64GB SD cards and shipping those. At least the weight of the package would drop and you don't have to worry about hard drive damage during shipping.

Return to posts index

Craig Moore
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:39:21 pm

If it's simple preview/review then why not use vimeo.com as a plus user and then they can stream it. You can password protect it and you are off an running. I do this all the time. For the same amount of time you are FTP uploading it can do the same thing. Unless you require a different viewing option.

Spider Video
http://spidervideo.tv
XDCAM Ex1-R
MacPro FCP3

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:43:50 pm

I use Vimeo as well for client reviews. When the client loves it you can unprotect it and you have another demo of your work online.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:12:27 pm

Adobe Media Encoder has nice presets in CS5. Drop down menu for YouTube and Vimeo. A time saver for quick conversions. I also use Vimeo's Uploader software that lets you batch upload multiple files.

Downside, you probably have multiple clips, so you will need to put them together in an editing system to have one continuous clip. Or, I also use Streamclip. It converts and you can make one clip from all your shots.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Feb 23, 2011 at 9:40:22 pm

You should look at Handbrake for x264 conversion, way faster than h264 and fully compatible for YouTube.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]