FORUMS: list search recent posts

sxs cards not recognised by Macbook Pro w/Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Simpson
sxs cards not recognised by Macbook Pro w/Snow Leopard
on Feb 16, 2011 at 2:19:44 pm

Assuming it was the update issue that lots of people have had I went down that path but still no luck after uninstalling the sxs device driver and reinstalling the latest version. I've tried 2 authentic sony sxs cards now and nothing pops up on my desktop or in the XD Transfer software like it used to. I'm really not sure how to troubleshoot this one so any help/advice would be appreciated. the cards work in my colleague's MBP, and they used to work on mine. So wondering if the card reader in my MBP is Kaput?!

System
MBP 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.6.6

SxS_Device_Driver_v1045050

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: sxs cards not recognised by Macbook Pro w/Snow Leopard
on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:52:26 pm

Did you try hooking the camera to your laptop and trying it that way? It would tell you if the card reader were dead.

I am assuming you don't have the Express34 slot on your laptop.

Return to posts index

Adam Simpson
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:37:54 am

Hey Bob, I don't have the camera but as a test I plugged in an external card reader to one of the USBs on that side of the computer and put an SD card from my Canon 60D into it and it reads that fine. I'm not sure what kind of express card reader is in the machine, how would I find out? I bought it new in 2008 if that's any help.

Adam

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:00:20 pm

MacBook Pro with Express port?
Neither card shows up using the driver you listed?

As a test put the card in and the reboot the computer and see if it mounts on boot.

Return to posts index

Adam Simpson
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:41:11 am

Thanks Craig, if express port refers to the slot that's built into the left side of the machine then yes and neither card shows up. I tried restarting with the card in and still no luck.

Thanks again

Adam

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:00:45 pm

Try running the Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) and see if it shows up there. If it is detecting the card you will see an instance of your card reader and the card listed under it as a volume. If it shows up there, your hardware at least sees that it's there. Try to mount it manually through Disk Utility if it appears.

Cf

Return to posts index

Adam Simpson
on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:16:32 pm

Thanks for the advice Clint, I tried that but no sign of it in disc utility.

BUT there have been developments. The last card the cameraman gave me was a third party one that takes an SD card and my MBP read that from the internal card reader. He also told me that he'd recently taken his cards into the local sony agent and they'd upgraded them or something, they certainly used to work. Does this make sense to anyone?

cheers

Adam

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Feb 18, 2011 at 2:11:36 pm

Yes. SxS cards have an internal PCI-Express architecture (or is it PCI-E? I forget) and the SD card readers have an internal USB architecture. Big difference.

For instance, I tried an MxR adapter with SD card in my Sony SBAC-US10 SxS reader yesterday trying to find a useful answer for you, and the Sony reader won't read the USB-based SD adapter. I had to grab an actual SxS card to verify the Disk Utility idea I posted.

There's the likely factor in your issue.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:41:32 pm

MacBook Pro Express port should read both USB and PCIe cards (with proper driver).
Sony SBAC-US10 only reads PCIe

Adam, Can you post exactly what type SxS cards you're working with. Size and whether SxS Pro or SxS-1. This will help just in case the firmware (or other internals?) in the card itself is a factor.

As a test if you have an MxR/MxM adaptor with SDHC card try that in MacBook Pro Express port. If that works then it points to possible issues with:
SxS Driver
Express port itself having issue with PCIe
SxS cards have an issue.

Next test SxS cards in:
Sony SBAC-US10
Another MacBook Pro with Express port
This would confirm that the SxS cards are OK in Sony's reader vs another MacBook Pro

Adam please test and post back or otherwise post which of the above have you tried so far and the results.

Return to posts index

Mark Goodwillie
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:16:46 pm

Craig,
Were you ever able to make the SxSPro card work in your macbook pro? I'm having the same problem. My friend's card works perfectly in his 17" macbook pro with Leopard. It will not mount in my 15" Snow Leopard???
Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:17:23 pm

A colleague of mine had the same issue. She has a 15" Macbook Pro running OS 10.6.6. Her SxS card wouldn't show up as an attached device no matter what I tried. Once I repaired her startup disk using Disk Utility it started working fine. Disk Utility found issues which were repairable. Perhaps your laptop will respond in the same way. Keep in mind that to repair the startup disk you need to startup with your OS Install disk or hook up another computer via firewire and startup your laptop in target disk mode.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Adam Simpson
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:27:33 pm

i'm so sorry guys i hate to be thought of as one of those people who asks for help then dips out. Just got carried away with other work. Anyway, for me, perhaps I hadn't downloaded the latest drivers, i thought i had and was pretty sure i'd gotten them from the .CA site where everyone seems to go but on advice from the local Sony guy I did it again following his link and it worked for me. These are the links he gave me:

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

I do appreciate all the help and advice offered, thanks so much.

Regards

Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]