FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting audio on an airliner

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Pestes
Shooting audio on an airliner
on Feb 12, 2011 at 4:43:17 am

If I need to show an interview on a jet aircraft how do I get clean audio? I have seen programs that have very clear sound but when I shoot with a shotgun or lav. I get so much noise that it is almost worthless. Any ideas?

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Shooting audio on an airliner
on Feb 12, 2011 at 5:11:46 am

The high end programming is probably using 'Automated or Automatic' dialogue replacement, or ADR as it's commonly known. Also the quality of the original aircraft audio would depend on the aircraft i.e. a 747 as opposed to a Cessna 152. Certainly a super cardioid mic would be helpful for rejecting side audio but I'm only guessing now.

http://filmsound.org/terminology/adr.htm

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Butch Henderson
on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:00:08 am

Once upon a time I did shoot in an Aluminum Mill with 2 Sony Directional Lavalier mics (ECM55's I believe) one facing the subject's voice and the other facing away (Down on their own audio channels. In editing I used a mixer to reverse the phase of the background audio to cancel it out. The result was a bit lacking in bass and oddly enough I had to mix back in some background sound so that it looked normal. An Airplane is going to be tougher because the frequency of the engines is in the voice range whereas in the Mill it was much lower.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:42:42 am

I'd mic it ridculously close and get plenty of 'room tone.' With a little judicious noise reduction in post you should be able to get something usable. Definitely an outboard mixer would be key and a great hypercardioid mic.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Feb 14, 2011 at 3:36:12 am

Great ideas guys. Thanks alot for the input.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:15:54 pm

I'd make the same suggestion - get a good stretch of uninterrupted room tone, then use that as a noise reduction sample in Soundtrack Pro. I've found that in nasty situations like that, knocking the noise reduction back to 50% or so and doing multiple passes can have better than expected results.

Cf

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:42:10 pm

The plane has to be turned off. Add the plane fx in post.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite