FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thumb drives aka flash drives

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Thumb drives aka flash drives
on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:52:52 am

I wonder why I don't hear more about the idea of using the larger USB flash drives to backup SxS cards while on the road.

The new flash drives of 32 gb and more are not that expensive, and would seem to offer greater reliability for field backup->erasure of SxS cards.

Any reason people don't adopt this as SOP?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Thumb drives aka flash drives
on Feb 11, 2011 at 7:27:09 am

I've got one of those new 32G Sony USB sticks and up here in the G.W.N. they cost me just over a hundred bucks CAD. So I don't know, I think hard drives are still more cost effective for archiving. At least for me.

Well, I used to have a Sony USB stick. I FedEx'd it to a client in L.A. today. Hopefully they'll mail it back.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:44:45 pm

[Don Greening] " So I don't know, I think hard drives are still more cost effective for archiving."

But on the road, when you're in need of fast backups that are more secure than a hard drive, it seems to me that the USB flash drive/thumb drive devices are a better bet even if they cost more. I'd feel insecure about downloading to only one hard drive.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:29:04 pm

I prefer one copy to the MacBook Pro hard drive, one to a FW800 external drive. The Lacie "Rugged" fits in your pocket so it's possible to keep your precious footage close to your heart. Dunno if it's ever stopped a bullet in someone's vest pocket or anything, though, like in spy movies! :)

Cf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:06:48 pm

I still maintain that hard drive storage is less expensive than solid state storage and a whole lot faster to transfer data, especially if your hard drive is FW800 and a USB stick is well, just that. Like Clint said, multiple hard drive backups are a good solution and can be done in a fraction of the time it takes to transfer to a memory stick. The other day I transfered 27 plus Gbyes to a Sony memory stick and it took over an hour.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:14:14 pm

The bottleneck is USB2 speeds I suspect.
One might back up to SDHC cards much more quickly. Since you're not using them for recording you can use lower class rated cards from reliable manufacturers. Lexar 32GB Class 4 can be had for just under $45.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 12, 2011 at 5:53:38 am

Thanks for the real-world advice. Glad I asked. I think a couple of small FW800 drives would work great.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]