FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Error - card must be reformatted

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Media Error - card must be reformatted
on Feb 6, 2011 at 7:49:44 pm

Hi,

Just filming some product shots, so this wasn't crutial, but I am shooting a live event soon so want to make sure it's not going to happen again - maybe there is a way to prevent it?

Mid shot, error comes up saying something like "media error - card needs to be reformatted' I took the card and and put it in my macbook. Got the clips off using XFCAM transfer but XDCAM Clip Browser said "incomplete media - execute salvage operation..."

I put the media back in the camera, reformatted as requested and the clips are all in tack and now I can pull them off on XDCAM Clip Browser too.

What did it happen? Can it be prevented from happening again?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Media Error - card must be reformatted
on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:44:51 pm

[Olly Lawer] "What did it happen?"

The directory of the card was rebuilt by the camera. This task does not affect the actual video files.

[Olly Lawer] "Can it be prevented from happening again?"

There are many things that affect the card that may prompt the 'restore' message. One such issue is that when you empty the card using the computer and put it back in the camera sometimes the restore message will come up. But not all the time.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:46:54 pm

Thanks.

Although the fact that it happened mid shot rather then when I when I put the card in is a tad worrying.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:56:30 pm

Was it SxS or SDHC?

1) If it happens when you start the shot it may mean the previous shot wasn't finished writing.

2) If it happens mid shot it means the buffered was likely filled and couldn't empty quickly enough.

3) If it happens when first putting the card in it means that if it was previously in a computer, the OS wrote invisible files to it that need to be cleared up.

Usually 1 happens if you don't wait for the light over the card to change back to ready.
If 2 happens it can be on slow mo shot or otherwise your card is on the slow side.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 6, 2011 at 11:03:23 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Usually 1 happens if you don't wait for the light over the card to change back to ready."

Do you have to check this light before starting to roll every time?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 7, 2011 at 1:12:51 am

[Bob Cole] "Do you have to check this light before starting to roll every time?"

If using SDHC card, yes. If you know your cards you can do this by instinct. If you have different SDHC cards you'd better check.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 6, 2011 at 11:08:18 pm

Thanks. Hmm, hopefully it was just 1 or 2.

Mind put at rest thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Feb 7, 2011 at 9:59:54 am

Hi Olly,

I don't know whether you were using SxS or SDHC, but it sounds like you are using SDHC. It is a controversial point as some people like Craig have had more luck than me with SDHC. Anyway, I had SDHC cards fail twice on me during a shoot when I first got my EX3. Luckily, I was able to retrieve pretty much all the clips, but it seriously dented my confidence in the camera. I decided at that point to fork out for 2 new Sony SxS 16Gb cards. That was over 18 months ago and have never had this problem again.

As I said, other people have had more success with the SDHC cards than me and they are probably better now than they were 18 months ago. But I'm not really prepared to take the risk again.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:16:46 am

I am using a Kensington 7 in 1 Media Card Reader for Expresscard Notepad Slot. Plus a 16GB SDHC Card (Class 6).

It's so expensive to but SxS cards.

So do these (SDHC) fail more or is there a debate open on the subject?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Feb 7, 2011 at 12:08:45 pm

There is an open debate on this subject - they work for some people but not for others. The essential problem is that they (the SDHC cards) do not write quite as quickly as the SxS cards which can occasionally cause a glitch.

The EX3 and EX1 now have a firmware update to make it work better. It may be worth trying the Sony or MxM adapters with their approved SDHC cards.

Yes, they (SxS) are expensive ...... no way round that apart from seeing it as an investment and charging your clients for 'media use' (like in the days of tape).

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 7, 2011 at 12:47:42 pm

Yes - 10 times the cost. But maybe a worthy investment.

My EX1 is not old, so haven't had it serviced yet. How do I update the firmware?

I will look into the other make you mentioned.

Touch wood this is the only occasion I have ever had a problem. I was taking a series of quick record, stop, record clips so maybe I didn't give it enough time to write.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:47:53 pm

[Martin Phillips] "The EX3 and EX1 now have a firmware update to make it work better."

Keep in mind that the latest firmware upgrades will cause your media to lose one minute of recording time for every 8 Gbytes of card. My SxS Pro 32G cards went from 116 min. to 112.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:35:02 pm

Buy good SDHC cards. Sandisk Class 10 for example.
These days, people having problems with SDHC cards are buying cheap. Like tape stock was, buy cheap and you get what you get.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:34:18 pm

This should not happen during recording. The "Media needs to be restored" messages that come up after the directories have been handled on a Mac are normal. A media error that comes up while the camera is rolling is usually caused by an issue with the media itself or a buffering problem on the camera. Were these SD or SxS cards?

Ian

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:36:23 pm

Hi,

As mentioned above I am using a Kensington 7 in 1 Media Card Reader for Expresscard Notepad Slot. Plus a 16GB SDHC Card (Class 6).

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:11:33 pm

Just updating this thread to let you all know that the same thing just happened to me, and copying back to an MXM SDHC card worked fine. The camera immediately prompted for a recovery.

It sounds like it's very hit-and-miss as to whether SDHC cards are safe, but fortunately in my case it was saved. On the last shot of the day the camera operator had forgotten to stop recording, then just powered down the camera to pack up, hence the incomplete XML files.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
View Post Blue showreel
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:16:09 pm

Hi Alex - You were lucky, but will you feel confident using them again on a shoot?

Very easy to do stuff like switch camera off whilst recording. Also to stop / start recording whilst the light is still red (another no no for SDHC). SxS doesn't seem to mind what you do - it just gets on with it. In over 2 years, no hassles with SxS here.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:14:59 pm

[Martin Phillips] "SxS doesn't seem to mind what you do"

I love my SxS cards. They cost too much, and they're worth every penny.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:56:00 pm

[Martin Phillips] "SxS doesn't seem to mind what you do - it just gets on with it. In over 2 years, no hassles with SxS here."

Same here. Trouble is I'm at the post production end of the process and often don't have a say in what media gets used. People tend to be turned on by the fact they could record for almost 4 hours on the same 64GB card, something that turns my stomach!

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
View Post Blue showreel
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:53:22 pm

[Martin Phillips] "In over 2 years, no hassles with SxS here."

Over three and a half years here.

- Don