FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM data validation on transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McCauley
XDCAM data validation on transfer
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:14:06 am

I have been shooting with a EX-3 for almost 2 years now. My workflow is to use XDCAM transfer(V2.12.0)to import video as Mov's using on a 15" MacPro 2.6Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Then copy folders of shots to an external Lacie drive then copy again into a 2X2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 14 GB memory.
Over that time I have had two errors occur (That I'm aware of from a great shot) each on a single file during transfer. One between the MacBook Pro and the LAcie which wasn't an issue I just recopied the file a second time from the MBP successfully. This last time was between the SXS card and the MBP. That's a worry..., if the SXS card is recorded over you have no recovery. Luckily this one was a two camera shoot and the second Cam (EX-1)media had not been recorded over. YEAH...

So the question is... Does anybody know of a setting in the XDCAM transfer software that can validate the initial transfer as clean and error free? So that one can avoid that day where you shoot, download then re-record on the original media only to later find a flaw in the video as transferred.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM data validation on transfer
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:58:54 am

XDCAM Transfer should have error checking but it doesn't. Sony's Clip Browser does but it's not on by default. Go to: Preferences>Edit>Perform CRC check after copy. Although I'm not aware of anything in particular I'm sure that there are programs out there whose sole purpose is to perform error correction so that things that are copied are done so error-free.

So the workflow would be to copy your BPAV folders using Clip Browser (with CRC on) to the backup media you use for storing all your BPAV folders. Then use XDCAM Transfer to re-wrap what you need for editing from MP4 to .MOV.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Feb 4, 2011 at 7:32:09 am

I agree with Don. At this point I don't even open XDCam Transfer during a shoot. I only focus on getting my folder structure straight and moving BPAV folders over with XDCam Browser. After the shoot I re-wrap all BPAV folders at once, in case I have spanned content, using Transfer. It means you have to have almost double the drive space as your content doing the re-wrapping, but if that is a concern, consider getting Calibrated Software so you can read the mp4s in FCP.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:39:30 pm

XDCAM Transfer does not do any extensive verification because its function is not archiving cards or copying data (like Clip Browser or Shot Put) but re-wrapping .mp4s and .mxfs to .mov for Final Cut. Ideally the camera masters are backed up and verified before they're ever presented to XDT. For this you can use Clip Browser, XDCAM Browser or Shot Put Pro. This way you'll know that the original card images have been verified before you wipe out your cards, and if there are any issues with the rewrapped files you can always go back to the original BPAVs.

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:56:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... I will modify my work flow to ensure a bad transfer is avoided. I've gone to the Pro Sony site and they show XDCAM EX Clip Browser Version 2.00.01 for MAC OSX. Is this the latest and or best to run on OSX 10.6.6?
Do any of you have a preference for EX Clip Browser or Shot Put Pro?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Feb 4, 2011 at 3:14:01 pm

Clip browser is up to 2.6. You need to use something other than Safari to download it. I am sure Ian will provide you with the proper link soon.

I have Shotput Pro but have not figured it out yet. Clip Browser works really well.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:56:54 pm

I agree completely with Ian, Don and Greg. I am recording sometimes six cameras a day worth of XDcam footage. All clips are loaded onto a back-up drive first using the "copy all" function with CRC. It takes quite a bit longer but I have had a couple of occasions where Clip Browser told me there was a problem and prompted me to start again. I did and the problem resolved. I then use the back-up hard drive to do whatever I want with the files. I am using many terabytes worth of hard drives but they are cheap.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:33:45 pm

And if we're really going to talk about cost relative to something, hard drives are inexpensive compared to lost shots, reshoots, lost clients, lost reputation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]