FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX3 video outputs and external monitor

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kamilla Joffer
Sony EX3 video outputs and external monitor
on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:23:16 pm

good evening,

excuse this post from a newbie, i researched my question whole afternoon but have not found answers.
I am a film student and only have experience with HDSLRs. Next week I will be shooting assignment with SONY EX3 though I never used one before.

My question is how do I connect Marshall LCD70XP-HDMI external monitor to Sony EX3?

This is the monitor http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/v-lcd70p-hdmi.html
And this is a larger image http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/V-LCD70P-HDMI_big.jpg

I know that SONY EX3 does not have HDMI output and I only used my monitor with HDMI signal. All the other options - composite, component, YPbPr are just scary words for me.

So, basically, I have these inputs on the back of my monitor http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/V-LCD70P-HDMI_big.jpg
and I need to connect monitor to Sony EX3. What kind of cables/adapters do I need to get video showing on the screen?

If someone could briefly answer my question, you would be my hero of the day :)

Thanks,
Kamilla

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Sony EX3 video outputs and external monitor
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:55:26 pm

It looks like you can just use a coax cable with BNC ends to hook the MONITOR OUT of your EX3 to the composite input of that monitor. It'll be a standard def signal. I'm going by the photo of the back of that monitor and the listing on Marshall's page which says it's a composite video input.

Cf

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:03:39 am

There are 2 ways to monitor the EX3 output with the monitor you are using: composite or component.

1) composite - use a 75 ohm BNC to BNC cable between the MONITOR OUT connector on the EX3 and the VIDEO IN connector on the monitor. This will give you an SD down-converted video signal. You can change between letterbox or crop in the VIDEO SET menu on the EX3.

2) component - connect the component video cable which comes with the EX3 between the COMPONENT OUT Mini D connector on the EX3 to the YPbPr BNC connectors on the monitor. You will require 3 female phono (RCA) to male BNC adapters. This will give a HD signal or MUCH higher quality although on that size of monitor it won't be as noticeable. Again, output options are available in the VIDEO SET menu.

According to the monitor documentation, the BNC inputs on the monitor are self terminating.

Return to posts index

Josh Rockman
on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:25:53 pm

For HD monitoring you also have to turn "Disable" the i.LINK I/O in the "Others menu"

Josh Rockman
Video Production Melbourne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]