FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync Problem, EX3 + FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Reid
Sync Problem, EX3 + FCP
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:53:59 pm

Shot for three months with EX3, camera set at 30p, used XD cam transfer for all material, imported directly into FCP, and edited with sequence settings below.

Film played perfectly on Apple monitor while cutting. I burned DVDs, and they looked great on my home system and a couple of others. On a neighbor's very old DVD system there was a sync problem, but I figured it was due to the old system.

Made a copy of the timeline using Media Manager and sent it to the Colorist. He calls me and says the film is playing out of sync when he plays it onto his studio monitor through his Kona card. Picture lags. What's happening?

The setting I chose on FCP was the only one offered that preserved the 1920x1080. It was interlaced, but I figured that was okay, since I would end up with a interlaced output anyway.

Does anyone know what's wrong? What can I do to fix it?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Sync Problem, EX3 + FCP
on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:11:09 am

Create a new timeline and drop a clip onto it without choosing a setup first. FC will ask you if you want to match the sequence to the clip. Click on "yes" and see if that helps.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Max Reid
on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:22:53 pm

Thanks for the response.

So when I do as you suggested, drop a shot in a new sequence, I get the "for best performance your sequence and external video should be set to format of the clips you are editing" I press yes. I get HDTV 1080i, even though the clips were shot in 1080 30p.

My default settings are from a couple of years when I was cutting SD on a PowerMac. My bad-- I should have changed them. I am hesident to reset them now with an edited show on the FCP.

While working, I have always set the Sequence Setting for HDTV interlaced, as shown above, BEFORE I put anything in the sequence. If I goofed up and forgot to reset the sequence I could tell immediately because the aspect ratio changed. At times I got a green line render indicator in the timeline just below the tabs, other times no green line.

I thought I was fine until the colorist started having problems playing the footage through his Kona card to his studio monitor. The pic was behind the sound, and there was occasional stuttering of the picture.

My question is-- what do I do now? Is there a button to push or a reset to do? I could start all over again, reset the FCP and drop the 30p into a new timeline, but would rather avoid all that labor on a 55minute film.

I'm sure someone else has been in this situation. What do I do? Take it to a good video lab and see if they can lay it to tape? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:08:24 pm

If this isn't your sequence settings something is wrong. This is EX 1080p30 when dropped into the timeline. Field Dominance is None (that's progressive). Compressor is XDCAM EX 1080p30

Return to posts index

Max Reid
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:59:23 pm

Best I find out now. I'll go back and fix it. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Max Reid
on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:25:12 am

Okay-- something I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but--
1) I create an new project in fcp.
2) Into the virgin timeline I drop a original clip from my EX3 shot at 30p.
3) I check the Sequence settings and get the following Sequence Settings--

4) I add clips from my edited movie. Sequence settings above stay. Problem solved? Running progressive HD 30p? Not sure--

The Sequence Settings you posted is different. Your sequence setting says HDTV 1080i (16x9). And you said if it's not that what you have shown, what I have is wrong. But what you have posted is 1080i -- doesn't that mean interlaced?

I'm sure you are right, I am bonehead and missing something. But how did your clip become interlaced in the Sequence Settings without shooting interlaced?

Much Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:06:24 am

Field Dominance NONE is Progressive.
FCP displaying Aspect Ratio 1920x1080 as "I" is just a cosmetic issue in the Sequence Settings naming.

Your codec shows as XDCAM HD, not XDCAM EX which means either you don't have FCP 6.0.2 and up, for some reason the codec isn't installed, your file is XDCAM HD from F300 series and up camera, not EX.

If the camera it came from is EX3 than it's either FCP version issue or otherwise the codec isn't installed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]